The incumbent will be assigned to Nursing Service, Primary Care in Murfreesboro, TN, or the Community Based Outpatiet Clinic located in Tullahoma, TN. Work will be under the general supervision of the Nurse Manager of the unit, and functions under the leadership of a registered nurse.
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) GS-6 performs complex age specific nursing care for adult and geriatric inpatients or outpatients with a variety of physical, mental, behavioral or psychological needs, and is limited to situations demanding an exceptional degree of practical nursing knowledge and skills, according to assignment and training.
The position serves in a dual role with the Primary Care (PC) Clinic setting, first in the role of a PC LPN working within a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) Team, and second in the role of a Telehealth/Teleretinal Clinical Technician.
Responsible for assisting in the coordination of patient care delivery to ensure quality care according to established standards of care/practice, policy and procedures, assist MD with frequently performed procedures, and adheres to Standard Operating This position serves within the Outpatient Clinic setting in the role of Telehealth LPN, providing for multiple telehealth, telemedicine and teleretinal modalities of care. This position may perform multiple support functions and ancillary duties with Primary Care Clinics to include providing relief for PACT LPN's and performing procedures such as phlebotomy, EKG's, Bladder Scans, and Injections, if time permits from their CVT clinic duties.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ability to observe, identify and respond to patient's needs for care including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In planning, organizing and delivering care, the LPN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socioeconomic, and age-related factors.
- Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intra?,Â muscular and/or intravenous) and other routes and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures.
- Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery.
- Performs tele-health imaging, tele-retinal screening, tele-dermatology, tele-wound care, and other tele-health programming as technology becomes available.
- Schedules patients who experience technical difficulties for a comprehensive exam according to policy.
- Provides administrative support for tele-health programs.
- Serves as a liaison between image readers, Primary Care Providers, Specialty Care Providers, patients and other VA personnel.
- Completes mandatory training and continuing education requirements.
- Performs quality control, maintains and inventories all video conferencing equipment. Cleans, performs routine minor maintenance and requests service for all telehealth technology.
- Participates in performance improvement activities aimed at improving efficiency and patient outcomes.
- Performs patient screening through utilization of the clinical reminder system.
- Orients patients and explains all tele-health services and processes.
- Ensures electronic encounter and coding is accurate and complete for billing purposes.
- Role of telehealth presenter including identifying the staff, patient and provider, staying in the room and facilitating the interaction if this is part of the protocol or as requested. Provides hands on assistance to the provider and patient as part of the encounter, training or interaction as needed.
- Ensures electronic encounter and coding is accurate and complete for billing purposes.
- Develops programs and processes to ensure telehealth modalities are timely, efficient and appropriate to the needs of the patient.
- Maintains and coordinates clinic space, telehealth equipment and staff availability for tele-health visits.
- Coordinates, schedules, and notifies patients of tele-health appointments.
- Makes reminder phone calls to patients and providers as necessary.
- When the patient, provider and/or staff arrives for the scheduled appointment, checks them in through appropriate mechanism such as VISTA and then checks them out once the appointment is completed.
- The Telehealth LPN assists in patient care under the direct supervision of an independent licensed healthcare provider.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not requiredBasic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education - Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency accredited by the Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing Inc. (ACEN) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency or the Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing Inc., 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850 | Atlanta, GA 30326 Or from the http://www.nlnac.org/ACEN web site. All applicants must verify that the program where you received your Nursing Degree is accredited by checking to see if it is listed on either the state agency approved list or the ACEN list (see below) in order to meet the basic qualification requirements. IF your educational degree program is not listed on one of these websites and the program was accredited at the time you graduated, you will need to submit additional written documentation from one of these agencies or from the Director of the Nursing program of your school as proof of accreditation by the ACEN or the State. Your college transcripts are not proof of this documentation.***The Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing Inc.(ACEN), located at 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850 | Atlanta, GA 30326 or call (404) 975-5000. The ACEN accredits all levels of nursing programs. Additional information may be obtained from the ACEN. http://www.acenursing.org/ . To Verify State Nursing Board: Google - State Nursing Board of _______(the state in which the school is located) and then look for the Board of Nursing approved LPN schools. Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment.The education requirement is waived for VHA employees who were converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) in implementation of Public Law 98-160, enacted November 21, 1983, and for VHA employees converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7405 in implementation of Public Law 99-576, enacted October 28, 1986; and for their future personnel actions under this authority. The waiver will not apply to persons appointed under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) or 7405 after these conversions.
- Licensure - Condition of employment. Active, full, current and unrestricted licensure as a Graduate Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico), of the United States or the District of Columbia. An LPN who has or has ever had, any license(s) revoked, suspended, denied, restricted, limited, or issued/placed in a probation status may be appointed only in accordance with regulations issued by the Under Secretary for Health or designee
- Proficient in spoken and written English - as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d)
Please make sure that each item below is addressed in detail in the body of your resume.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: In addition can demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Technically proficient in initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations.
2. Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record relevant] patient information. Completed work should need only a general review by a registered nurse (RN) or physician (MD/DO) for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures.
3. Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors.
4. Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures. Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting any deviations from normal to RN or MD/DO.
5. Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD/DO, and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed.
6. Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff.
7. Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery. Effectively incorporates knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers.
8. Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedure. Serves as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPNs/LVNs or NAs/HTs related to support duties for these more complex, specialized tests/procedures.
9. Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G13, Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standard.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS 6. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is a GS 6.Physical Requirements: Physical Requirements: See VA Handbook 5005, Part III, Chapter 2, paragraph 7, and VA Handbook 5019, Occupational Health Services. All applicants must be physically and mentally able to perform efficiently the duties of the position. Must be able to lift (30 lbs or more); twisting and/or bending, standing and/or walking almost constantly during the course of the day.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Duties are performed in a health care environment as defined by the VA Tennessee Valley Health Care System and involves regular and recurring potential for exposure to infection and contagious diseases as well as potential exposure to anger, hostile, and combative patients. The incumbent is also exposed to moderate levels of noise and radiation and must utilize protection devices. If individual wears glasses, safety shields are required and will be provided; must use personal protective equipment (RME) as required. Work is performed in a ward setting.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
CV or Resume - include: contact information; descriptions of jobs, including name and address of employer, job title, beginning and ending date (month/year) of employment, average hours worked per week, and supervisor's name and phone number; education,including name and location of college, dates attended, and type and date of degree earned; and other information, such as licenses, certificates, etc.Descriptions of duties must sufficiently detail the level of the experience. If the position is (was) with the Federal government, either military or civilian,state series and grade or pay grade (rank) and date of last promotion
Notice of Personnel Action (SF 50) required for current federal employees.
VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search. Will be required if selected.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.