RN Progressive Care Unit
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program or to receive a recruitment incentive may be authorized with a 2 year obligation agreement. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
1. Performs emergent patient care in acute / crisis situations.
2. Conducts ongoing monitoring of patient conditions and documents patient responses to care in a clear, concise manner.
3. Assures detailed, current and comprehensive documentation is contained in the patient medical record and other pertinent records.
4. Evaluates systems for patient care delivery and personnel management by tailoring the clinical environment to the particular needs of the patient population.
5. Promotes participation with the Quality Management Program in the Clinical, Research and Educational Programs.
6. Develops and supports research projects directed toward improving patient care and staff development.
7. Provides a safe and healthy physical environment for patients and personnel by interpreting and applying organizational controls and national standards.
8. Assures continuing improvement of service to patients, including implementation of an effective customer service program.
9. Collaborates with the other health care professionals in providing continuity of services for specific health issues.
10. Reviews and updates patient databases, patient care plans and other forms as appropriate.
Relocation expenses are not authorized.
Work Schedule: Rotating Shifts
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
1. BSN Preferred.
2. Current Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
3. Minimum two years of successful critical care experience required.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
The Physical requirements of this position include the following tasks which may be performed intermittently: lifting of up to 50 lbs. (3 hours), sitting (2 hours), standing (4 hours), walking (8 hours), climbing (1 hour), kneeling (3 hours), bending/stooping (3 hours), twisting (2 hours), pushing/pulling (6 hours), simple grasping (8 hours), fine manipulation (8 hours), reaching above the shoulder (4 hours), and operating machinery (8 hours).
Participation in the seasonal influenza program is a condition of employment and a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP). HCP are individuals who, during the influenza season, work in VHA locations where patients receive care or who encounter VA patients as part of their duties. VHA locations include, but are not limited to, VA hospitals and associated clinics, community living centers (CLCs), community-based outpatient clinics (CBOCs), domiciliary units, Vet centers and VA-leased facilities. HCP include all VA licensed and unlicensed, clinical and administrative, paid and unpaid, full- and part-time employees, intermittent employees, fee basis employees, VA contractors, students, researchers, volunteers, and trainees who work at these facilities.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Performance Evaluation
- VA Form 10-2850a
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Performance Evaluation
- VA Form 10-2850a