||NYU School of Medicine is one of the nation's top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health, the School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. For more information, go to med.nyu.edu, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Nurse Practitioner with the Cardiothoracic Surgery team at Bellevue Hospital.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for the provision, coordination, and assurance of comprehensive advanced practice nursing care using the nursing process and pertinent standards of care, the diagnosis of illness and physical conditions, and performance of therapeutic, corrective, and prescriptive measures for the inpatient and outpatient population.
- Evaluates how organizational structure, care processes, financing, marketing and policy decisions impact the quality of health care.
- Evaluates the relationships among access, cost, quality, and safety and their influence on the patient, hospital and health care system.
- Demonstrates the highest level of accountability for professional practice.
- Uses best available evidence to continuously improve quality of clinical practice.
- Monitors and trends the cost effectiveness of the position, particularly as it relates to the efficiency and performance indicators established for the service.
- Assists in the preparation, implementation, and evaluation of research protocols when applicable.
- Applies skill in on-going peer review to promote a culture of excellence.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of patient outcomes per established practice protocols for purposes of quality and performance improvement.
- Analyzes the implication of health policy across the disciplines.
- Integrates appropriate technologies for knowledge management to improve health care delivery.
- Develops new practice approaches based on the integration of research, theory, and practice knowledge.
- Translates research and other forms of knowledge to improve practice processes and outcomes.
- Serves as a clinical expert and resource for the education of peers and other health professionals.
- Maintains current expertise in area of practice.
- Promotes own professional growth and development in clinical and managerial role.
- Acts as a professional role model to all levels of staff by incorporating expertise and related experience into all aspects of patient care.
- Implements palliative and end of life care in collaboration with the family, patient (when possible), and other members of the multidisciplinary health care team.
- Educates patient and family to facilitate and promote healthy adjustment to new or changed health patterns.
- Works collaboratively with the attending physician, consulting physician(s), and other disciplines to identify, develop, and implement an appropriate plan of care that maximizes individual patient/family preference and enhances quality, access, and cost-effective outcomes.
- Evaluates treatment and health care plans for effectiveness and modifies plan per clinical standards and practice protocols.
- Formulates the plan of care, along with the attending physician, patient and family, based on expected goals of care and length of stay.
- Orders customary laboratory, radiological and diagnostic studies per practice protocols, differentiates between normal/abnormal findings and follows protocols for abnormal findings, which may include referral to consulting physicians per customary pattern of the attending MD or with the collaborating physician.
- Performs complete health history, physical examination and psychosocial assessment of patients within the designated practice or clinical unit
- Adapts interventions to meet the complex needs arising from normal changes of aging, multiple system problems, psychosocial, and financial issues.
- Assesses special risk factors of the in-patient population for common patterns of illness and communicable disease
- Diagnoses commonly occurring acute and chronic health problems for the in-patient population with an emphasis on multi-system health problems.
- Participates in professional organizations and activities that influence advanced practice nursing and/or health outcomes of the in-patient population.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
- Provides consultation about the therapeutic regimen to the nursing staff responsible for the patients care in the hospital setting.
- Participates in the development and revision of interdisciplinary and nursing standards, patient and family education materials as relevant to area of practice and expertise.
- Plans and organizes care to meet individual patient needs and to ensure appropriate clinical resource utilization per protocols, pathways, and other means.
- Acknowledges ethnic, gender, and agespecific differences and implementsinterventions to ensure quality andcompassionate practice.
- Supports the mission, philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of the institution, department and service line.
- Works collaboratively with nursing leadershipto ensure timely communications with thenursing staff.
- Works collaboratively with the attending physician to maintain timely and appropriate communication with family members, house staff, other disciplines and ancillary services.
- Demonstrates leadership that uses critical, team and nursing.comprehensive, and reflective thinking.
- Considers the needs and behaviors ofspecific patient age and cultural groups in allpatient care.
- Practices as a member of the allied health staff according to the rules and regulations of the Medical Staff and bylaws as outlined in the delineation of privileges.
- Facilitates the patient's transition betweenhealth care settings, by maintaining thecontinuum of serces, e.g. home care, other facilities, appointments with MD's etc.
- Prescribes medical equipment, devices,physical and occupational therapy, and homehealth services per practice protocol.
- Prescribes in-patient and dischargemedications according to New York State law,including controlled substances with DEAauthorization.
- Assesses for multiple interactive and synergistic effects of pharmacologic agents, including over-the-counter (OTC) preparations and alternative and complementary therapies, in the patients with complex, acute, critical, and chronic illnesses.
- Differentiates between signs and symptoms indicating acute and/or remission of a chronic health problem and signs and symptoms of a new problem for the in-patient population.
- Identifies both typical and atypical presentations of commonly occurring health problems with the in-patient population.
To qualify you must have:
Licensure: Current registration as Professional Nurse and Registration as Nurse Practitioner in New York State
Education: Masters Degree in Advanced Practice Nursing; Board Certification as an Adult, Acute or Family Nurse Practitioner;Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Basic Life Support (BLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Competence:At least five years of acute care clinical nursing practice; ability to apply the nursing process toward achievement of specific outcomes in an organized fashion, which addresses patient/family safety and satisfaction.Previous experience as nurse practitioner in an in-patient setting is preferred.Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, creative problem solving and excellent critical thinking and leadership;Previously demonstrated ability to facilitate group processes and work cohesively and collaboratively as member of the interdisciplinary team;Effective change agent.Physical stamina, manual dexterity, visual and aural acuity to perform responsibilities.Membership in professional specialty organizations desirable.
Required Licenses: Nurse Practitioner-NYS, Registered Nurse-NYS, DEA
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU School of Medicine's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.