||NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute¿designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Director of Outpatient Surgery.
In this role, the successful candidate leads and manages nursing and other staff in the designated perioperative units, in the delivery of nursing and patient care programs provided by perioperative/procedural areas. Fosters and demonstrates collaboration with various surgical and anesthesia services, and other units in the perioperative service; facilitates and supports implementation of consistent nursing and patient care standards; implements effective collaboration with other professional disciplines, support leadership, and staff involved in providing service for the surgical/procedural populations; manages the financial planning, monitoring, and adjustments necessary for the designated units; develops the operating and capital budgets in alignment with the perioperative services strategic plan; coordinates service specific quality, compliance and risk improvement projects.
- EVALUATION, OUTCOMES, QUALITY IMPROVEMENT & RESEARCH Designs, implements and evaluates programs and activities to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies. Participates in and fosters staff involvement in evidence based practice and information literacy activities.Provides opportunities to perioperative nurses and leadership in the research process through various education and training activities and programs. Supports evidence based practice projects and research pertinent to the specialty. Promotes and ensures patient/family, physician and staff satisfaction.
- EVALUATION, OUTCOMES, QUALITY IMPROVEMENT & RESEARCH Researches practice trends pertinent to perioperative operations and strategic planning. Facilitates development and initiation of clinical protocols and research initiatives. Supports staff and leadership in networking, sharing of best practices, and facilitating consistent compliance with standards. Stimulates and initiates clinical studies and research projects pertinent to the practice; participates in interdisciplinary research programs.Ensures the development and implementation of interdisciplinary outcome standards consistent with the organizations quality and performance improvement plan. Plans, implements and evaluates service and unit-based quality and performance improvement programs. Participates in interdisciplinary quality and performance improvement projects.
- EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT - Ensures the provision and development of pertinent continuing education programs for perioperative staff. Supports development of educational materials for patients and families. Fosters and facilitates interdisciplinary patient, family and public education programs, pertinent to perioperative care. Supports academic and educational affiliations that provide clinically rich experiences for varying levels of nursing and ancillary staff.
- EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT - Maintains expertise in clinical and leadership competence by participation in continuing education, professional organizations and other related activities.Completes all mandatory educational requirements, Earns 15 contact hours of continuing education annually. (See attached continuing Education Record), Pursues formal education preferred for the position. Evaluates performance in a timely manner based on professional practice standards, benchmarking and criteria established by accrediting/regulatory agencies. Establishes and implements a professional development plan annually. Facilitates design and development of staff development programs in conjunction with nursing education, advanced practice nursing, and physician leadership in providing staff education and training; fosters a learning environment that supports nursing practice.
- LEADERSHIP & COORDINATION - Establishes collaborative, constructive teamwork with nursing staff, leadership, medical staff, and other administrative staff throughout the medical center. Role models core values of the medical center in relationship with patients, families, staff and other disciplines. a)Caring: Acts as an advocate for staff and patients. Is sensitive to the needs of staff, peers and patients b) Excellence: Demonstrates creativity in developing and presenting innovative solutions to problems encountered. c)Teamwork: Works collaboratively and maintains a good working rapport with nursing and physician staff to accomplish goals. Is open to ideas, approaches, and perspectives of others. d) Respect: Interacts with staff, patients, and families in a courteous and respectful manner. Treats each person as a unique individual. Values diversity. e)Integrity: Acts ethically and upholds the organizations code of ethics. Maintains confidentiality of patient information (see signed attached Statement of Confidentiality).Participates in medical center and departmental committees and activities as indicated.
- LEADERSHIP & COORDINATION - Establishes leadership accountability in the provision of support and guidance for role advancement, professional development and succession planning. Works collaboratively with physician leadership to develop and maintain clinical practice standards of care. Develops the financial plan for the units staffing, operational and capital budgets; works in conjunction with other nursing leadership in supporting the perioperative service. Participates in preparation of case projections for pertinent services. Monitors and adjusts the budget based on volume, case intensity, and strategies of the surgical services.
- LEADERSHIP & COORDINATION - Demonstrates visibility, accessibility and effective communications that convey a strong sense of advocacy and support for staff, surgical team, and leadership. Provides leadership in the development of management support and systems for nursing leadership and staff focused on patients with surgical/procedural needs throughout the perioperative continuum. Coordinates activities pertaining to patient care throughout the perioperative process based on the hospitals and departments' of Nursing philosophy and mission. Participates in the design of new clinical facilities, activation of programs and renovations of existing facilities for perioperative programs in collaboration with other services. Hires, develops and evaluates nursing leadership from orientation through termination according to established standards.
- CLINICAL - Initiates development and implementation of interdisciplinary and departmental structure and process standards.Leads development and implementation of evidence based clinical practice guidelines. Provides resources and collaborates with nursing and MD leadership to identify customer satisfaction, design and implement inpatient and outpatient processes that facilitate age-appropriate, culturally sensitive, and ethical care for patients. Establishes and maintains processes to ensure competency and appropriate utilization of staff.
- CLINICAL - Articulates an understanding of nursing process, interdisciplinary collaboration, customer service, patient/family education and patient care related to the perioperative continuum of care. Develops, maintains and evaluates systems that support nursing process, efficient surgical/procedural patient flow, and the delivery of safe and effective patient care. Demonstrates and enhances understanding of patient care and nursing standards as integral and supportive of professional practice, participatory leadership, and the values espoused by the Departments of Nursing and NYUHC. Demonstrates understanding of the value of professional nursing, the conceptual framework in which it is practiced, and the features of an organization that attracts and retains nurses.
To qualify you must have a Current Registered Professional Nurse in the State of New York. Master's Degree in nursing preferred, or Master's in related field required. Minimum of 5 years of clinical ambulatory experience. Minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership experience. Excellent skills in the following areas: verbal and written communication, critical thinking, creativity, interpersonal relationships and team building, change management, evidence based practice, strategies to support professional nursing practice; interdisciplinary patient/family education strategies and processes, and current issues and trends in service-specific nursing and health care in general; understanding and commitment to sustain a Magnet culture; supports an environment of learning; ability to communicate vision and goals of the Departments of Nursing, and NYUMC. Participation in pertinent professional organizations, such as the American Organization of Nurse Executives and respective state and regional chapters; and specialty nursing organizations
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.