Registered Nurse - Professional Development Specialist/Mental Health Educator
Join the Charles George VA Medical Center as the Registered Nurse - Professional Development Specialist/Mental Health Educator in the Learning Resource Services (LRS).
The Registered Nurse - Professional Development Specialist/Mental Health Educator functions across the Charles George VA Medical Center by providing staff development expertise as an educator, consultant, facilitator, change agent, leader and researcher. Each supports the development of the frontline nurse, and fosters empowerment through knowledge to achieve excellence through the delivery of evidence based nursing practice. This occurs through the facilitation of the educational process through assessment, Development, planning, implementation and evaluation of competency assessment, continuing education and leadership development. In addition, as a role model of professional behavior, the incumbent is instrumental in creating a professional nursing climate to meet the needs of the diverse patient populations.
The incumbent will also serve as the Prevention and Management of Disruptive Behavior (PMDB) Training Program Coordinator. The PMDB Coordinator is responsible for a diverse range of activities involving support, growth and maintenance in the PMDB Training at the Charles George VAMC. The PMDB Training Program Coordinator reports to the Chief of Learning Resources.
The incumbent must possess excellent speaking skills and the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a wide variety of individuals and organizations. The incumbent must also be comfortable in the role of administrator, educator, and direct services provider, as the needs of the program require. The Nursing Professional Development Practitioner must be capable of providing strong leadership.
Work schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Position Description Title/PD#: Registered Nurse - Professional Development Specialist/Mental Health Educator./0000
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: Not Available
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency. RNs appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English.
- Full Unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
- Master's Degree in Nursing Education.
- Five or more years of Nursing experience in Mental Health
- Five or more years of progressive nursing leadership and experience in education.
- Previous experience in analysis and program development
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership, self-directed and rational problem solving skills
- Documented evidence of good communication skills either written, or oral, and computer expertise
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - A Master's degree in nursing or related filed with BSN or bachelor's degree in a related field. If MSN obtained in a Bridge Program, no BSN required, with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field with approximately 2-3 years of nursing experience.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*VA Form 10-2850a Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetists ): http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf )
Application 10-2850a is required to be considered for this position. Please complete the form in its entirety. If you answer "YES" to questions 30 through 38, please attach a separate sheet of paper with a brief explanation for each question to which you answered "Yes". Information must be current and not older than a year. Outdated and/or incomplete applications will be ineligible for consideration.
*Resume: Your resume must include the following information for each job that you list:Job title; Complete Work Place Addresses ; Duties (be as detailed as possible); Month and year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008); Full-time, part-time status, PRN (include hours worked per week).
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document