The Northeast Ohio VA Healthcare System is recruiting for a Nurse Manager (Assistant Chief). The Nurse Manager (Assistant Chief) will function in Long Term Care within Nursing Service. The Nurse Manager (Assistant Chief) duties include:
- Ensuring compliance with professional practice standards for Long Term Care in order to improve delivery of care, promoting patient safety monitoring and unit level nursing performance.
- Evaluating nursing productivity, staffing methodology, improving systems and work flow.
- Developing staffing plans, time schedules and monitoring leave to ensure adequate staffing for resident care.
- Selecting, hiring, supervising, evaluating, and scheduling staff.
- Maintaining ethical management practice related to fairness, equity, relationships, payroll and timekeeping.
- Monitoring, trends and analyzing staffing usage such as sitter hours, overtime, intermittent dollar costs, FMLA, light duty, and reassignment.
- Assuring that significant unit occurrences are reflected the 24-hour summary of activity; notifying nursing leadership of issues requiring attention or higher level of follow-up.
- Exemplifying leadership by evaluating current clinical practices of staff.
- Incorporates team building and customer service into nursing practice; evaluating retention options and creating a positive work environment.
- Leading interdisciplinary problem-solving at the area and/or program level.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not RequiredBasic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Five years progressive nursing leadership experience.
- Three to five years Long Term Care experience.
- MDS experience.
- Resident Centered Care Planning Experience.
- MSN in Nursing.
- Experience with Leadership principles of Cultural Transformation, resident centered care, and CMS
- Experience with the Long Term Care Institute Surveys
- Certification in nursing leadership
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- CV or Resume (when listing previous employment please include month and year).
- If prior military service, include all copies of your DD-214 or proof of service as well as proof of disability, if applicable.
- Cover Letter