Pediatric Nurse, RN – Prevention & Foster Care
NEW ALTERNATIVES FOR CHILDREN, INC.
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an award-winning health care and social service agency in Midtown Manhattan, with a satellite Bronx office, which serves children living with medical complexity, disabilities or serious emotional or psychiatric disturbance and their families. We are currently seeking a Pediatric Registered Nurse to work in our Article 28 clinic, and in the communities of families enrolled in our Prevention and Foster Care programs. This position offers highly rewarding experience for nursing professionals who welcome the opportunity to build strong relationships with at- risk families within their communities. It’s an exciting opportunity to be a part of multidisciplinary teams of professionals at an innovative agency serving the needs of some of the most vulnerable children and families in New York City.
As members of NAC’s nursing team, responsible for a caseload of families, pediatric nurses assess, teach, provide anticipatory guidance, and coordinate care for children living with medical complexity and their families. The nurse provides these services during regularly scheduled home visits and on-site in our Article 28 clinic. Nursing care is delivered in collaboration with NAC’s outstanding team of social workers, physicians, nurse practitioners, and other staff.
- Supervise the clinic activities to ensure that encounters occur in a timely fashion.
- Obtain and document vital signs; perform venipuncture and collect specimens for various labs; perform vision and hearing screening; administer immunizations as ordered by MD/PNP. Assess and triage sick visits.
- Assess the medical needs of each child by reviewing his or her diagnosis, birth history, and inpatient and outpatient records.
- Initiate, maintain, and update health care plans for each child, assuring quality of care.
- Provide education for families on how to optimally care for their children in their home settings, particularly around the children’s special health care needs, with reinforcement as needed.
- Make referrals for community-based care and provide follow-up as needed.
- Make home visits to children in the Prevention and Foster Care Programs, according to program guidelines.
- Collaborate with social workers, education specialists, recreation staff, mental health and other medical professionals to assess each child’s health care needs and problems and implement health care plans. Participate actively in multidisciplinary Clinical Care Conferences.
- Provide direct care to patients that includes (but not limited to) providing treatment for asthma, conducting physical assessment in cases of suspected child maltreatment, and delivery of emergency care. Ensure accurate and timely documentation of all patient care activities.
- Provide telephone triage and advice to parents.
- Assist in administrative duties, when needed.
- Assist in quality assurance activities involving services provided to children in assigned caseload, including maintaining up-to-date medical record documentation.
- Provide follow-up on all children taking psychotropic medications. Serve as liaison to child psychiatrist.
- Accompany NAC staff on field trips to monitor the medical needs of a child. This may require some weekend work.
- Current New York RN license (in good standing) required
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) required
- Post graduate experience in pediatrics, maternal child health, and/or home care preferred.
- Bilingual (English / Spanish) a plus.
- Computer Literacy required - experience with using electronic health records preferred.
Work Schedule: Full-time - 35 hours per week. Shifts are generally Monday – Friday, and range from 9am-5pm to 11:30am – 7:30pm. One Saturday shift every 6 weeks, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
When applying, indicate “Pediatric Nurse, RN” in the subject line, and email cover letter and resume to:
Mary Ann Code
Human Resources Department
New Alternatives for Children
37 West 26th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10010
To learn more about New Alternatives for Children, Inc., please visit our website: www.nackidscan.org
“WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY”
Apply for Pediatric Nurse, RN – Prevention & Foster Care
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly