Nurse Practitioner (GI)
The Oklahoma City VA Health Care System (OKC VA HCS) is recruiting for a full time Nurse Practitioner for Gastroenterology (GI) Section of Medical Service. The OKC VA HCS is an active teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Primarily assist with pre- and post- procedure evaluations of patients referred to the GI lab.
- Work closely with GI fellows, making daily rounds on inpatients, writing progress notes, assisting in assessments of inpatient and outpatient consults as well as seeing patients in clinic.
- Write medical orders on patients assigned.
- Authorized to prescribe medications, refill previously prescribed routine medications, and supplies in the inpatient setting.
- Obtain initial or interim medical histories and perform physical examinations.
- Respond to Consultations from other services
- Provide and coordinate medical care for assigned patients in the inpatient and critical care setting, including establishing diagnosis, formulating and implementing orders and care plans, and transition of care.
- Order diagnostic studies and testing.
- Order other special tests, including contrast studies, such as Magnetic Resonance (MRI), Computerized Tomography (CT) scans, etc.
- Order patient care supplies and equipment including but not limited to wound care and oxygen.
- Initiate and expedite health promotion, disease prevention, and patient / caregiver education activities.
- Order or obtain laboratory specimens. Draw blood specimens for testing and performing other comparable laboratory procedures, as needed.
- Order ancillary services such as pharmacy, social services, prosthetics, respiratory care, rehabilitation therapies, etc...
Financial Disclosure Report: Not RequiredBasic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
*Copy of Licensure/Certification
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s), which may not be required for all applicants:
*DD-214 (Veterans Only)
*SF-50 (Federal Employees)
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.