Under the supervision of the Nurse Manager/Nursing Supervisor, the staff nurse functions as a team leader/charge nurse, or direct care provider, providing leadership which facilitates delivery of quality nursing care for the veterans. The incumbent takes into consideration each patient's developmental stage progressively through young adult to geriatric stage through the use of the nursing process, and working effectively with all levels of staff to include collaborative efforts with other health professionals. The nurse provides leadership in improving patient care, maintaining standards of care, and directing and teaching other personnel in a variety of settings. Duties of the role include staff nurse, medication administration and direct care provider. The assignment for the day could be anywhere in the medical centers such as acute care units, specialty clinics to name a few. The RN works in the development of the plan of care that addresses individual needs of the resident. Serves as a patient liaison in addressing concerns and issues. Serves a member of an interdisciplinary team committed to improving the quality of care delivered to the Veterans.
Work Schedule: As Needed
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Physical qualifications require the ability to stand, walk, bend, and move freely. Must be able to utilize good body mechanics in lifting or restraining patients. Must have good hearing, eyesight, and physical dexterity. Must be clean and neat in appearance. Must be emotionally stable and cooperative. Work is accomplished predominantly on the nursing unit and through escorting to various clinics or hospital areas. The physical surroundings involve working with the acute and chronically physically and mentally ill patients, which may cause discomfort related to negative verbal and physical activities from these patients. Work involves regular and recurring exposure to infection and contagious diseases. Infection Control Standard Precautions are required as safety precautions; such as hand hygiene, gloves, gowns or masks, which may be required for personal protective equipment and to promote a safe environment.
The incumbent of this position will be expected to understand, remember, and apply oral and/or written instructions or other information; understand, remember, and communicate routine, factual information; understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions; understand opposing points of view on highly complex issues and to negotiate and integrate different viewpoints; organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology; organize and prioritize own work schedule on short-term basis (longer than one month); count accurately; add, subtract, multiply, divide and to record, balance, and check results for accuracy; compute, analyze, and interpret numerical data for reporting purposes; compute, analyze, and interpret complex statistical data and/or to develop forecasts and computer models; understand and follow basic instructions and guidelines.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Cover Letter
- Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
- Other Veterans Document