Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) works under the direction of an RN and reports to the Clinical Manager. The LPN is responsible for observing, recording and reporting changes in the patient's condition, and assists in the development and revision of the patient-driven holistic care plan. The LPN may require a general review of work by an RN for appropriateness and conformity with license, policies, and procedures. The LPN works in a self-directed manner with a team of individuals to manage a panel of patients in a primary care setting. He/she contributes to the nursing process through data collection and incorporates evidence-based practices to individuals and groups focusing on cost-effective ways to maximize wellness, prevent illness, and manage acute and chronic diseases. Nursing encounters may occur face-to-face or via telephone or other communication devices. The LPN demonstrates ability to educate patients, identify and link patients with appropriate resources, collaborate with the interdisciplinary team, perform clinical procedures, communicate well, and utilize the computer for electronic documentation, initiating orders per policy, data collection, and reports. The LPN may be assigned to cross cover in other clinical areas within his/her competency level.
Work Schedule: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education: Must be a graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National League for Nursing [Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)] at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency [or] the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission. Exceptions listed below:
- Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for full LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment.
- Individuals granted a license by a jurisdiction that does not require graduation from an approved school may be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment, provided the individual has demonstrated successful practice as an LPN.
- Licensure: Must possess a current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia.
- Physical Standards: See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
- English Language Proficiency: Licensed practical or vocational nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in both spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402 (d), and 7407 (d).
GS - 5: The requirement for a GS - 5 grade level is at least 1 year of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN at the GS - 4 level or equivalent. In order to qualify at the GS - 5 level, your resume must demonstrate your knowledge and ability to provide a full range of practical nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems; the ability to serve as a responsible member of the nursing team and interact with patients, family members, professional and supportive personnel involved in the delivery of patient care, incorporating acceptable, established customer service standards into practice; knowledge and skill sufficient to prepare, administer, and appropriately document actions taken specific to commonly prescribed medications; and the ability to recognize and appropriately respond to breakage/malfunction or loss of equipment, safety hazards, and supply deficiencies.
GS - 6: The requirements for a GS - 6 grade level is one additional year of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN at the GS - 5 level or equivalent. In order to qualify at the GS - 6 level, the applicant's resume must demonstrate the knowledge and ability to fully meet each of the performance requirements of the GS - 5 LPN/LVN in addition to the ability to: 1) appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patient's condition and use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; 2) accurately recognize, report and record relevant patient information; to recognized and consider emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors in identifying and responding to the patient's needs for care; 3) quickly recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed by the RN and/or MD/DO; and 4) understand human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and appropriately use this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff, establishing constructive relationships to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G13, Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standard, Veterans Health Administration.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS - 6. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS - 5 to GS - 6.Physical Requirements: Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position. Ability to withstand periods of standing, walking, recurring bending, lifting, stooping, stretching, and similar activities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Must have good manual dexterity and keyboarding skills. Must be able to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word. Must be able to view and read information on computer screens.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document