(Psychiatric) Advanced Practice Nurse with Prescriptive Privileges
Provides psychiatric care to Veterans served within the Mental Health Service Line including obtaining health history, conducting interviews and assessments, formulating diagnoses, conducing mental status exams, substance abuse related assessments, ordering and interpreting diagnostic and laboratory tests and completes inpatient and outpatient assessment. Conducts counseling and psychotherapy interventions through generally accepted methods of brief and long-term therapy, including individual therapy, group therapy, marital or couple therapy and family therapy. Provides psychopharmacological interventions including prescribing or recommending of pharmacologic agents and the ordering and interpretation of diagnostic and laboratory testing. Establishes and formulates the need for appropriate level of care to include voluntary and involuntary inpatient hospitalization.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm with rotating, on call and holidays
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. [The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.]
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Physical demands include repetitive body movements including the following: frequent reaching, standing, walking, and lifting of equipment and/or patients to provide patient care. This position requires extension of the hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction including above or below shoulder level, during the provision of patient care, including retrieval of needed equipment, supplies and to make contact with the patient. This position requires the maintenance of an upright position to perform duties associated with patient care. This position is typically non-sedentary, and frequently involves being in the standing position. This position requires moving about on feet to accomplish tasks, such as assisting with patient ambulation and moving one patient area to the next. This position requires the raising of objects from a lower position to a higher position or the movement of objects horizontally position to position. Lifting may be done to move a patient from one location to the next, i.e. - from the exam table to the chair, and in the movement of equipment or supplies. This position requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently to move objects. This position requires writing or otherwise working with fingers and/or hands, including one or both hands frequently. This is done when taking a patient's pulse, utilizing a stethoscope, administering medications, entering information into the computer, etc. This position requires substantial movements (motion) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers, as is done when entering patient notes into the computer.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Resume or CV (Required) You must include the vacancy announcement number, position title, grade, how to contact you, descriptions of jobs held including:
a. the name and address of employer
b. job title
c. description of duties
d. month and year of employment, and average hours worked per week.
Resumes received without this information will result in an ineligibility rating.
2. VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at:https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf. The form MUST be submitted as a completed document; to include the signature and date on pages 3 and 4.
3. Copy of current Licensure and Certification (Required) Clear copy with expiration date.
4. Copy of Transcripts (Required). For Education Verification, an unofficial copy may be used, however official copy will be verified (in person or via VetPro Credentialing) prior to appointment and/or reassignment from another Veterans Affairs facility. Copy of Unofficial must show degree conferred date.
4. Federal Employees: Copy of SF-50 - Notice of Personnel Action. Please submit your most current SF-50. It must show your job title, series, current grade and step and appointment type to verify status.
5. Military: DD214. Please submit member 4 copy or showing character of discharge. Applicants claiming Veterans preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf , along with the required supporting documentation to verify status.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.