The Registered Nurse (Dialysis) will report directly to the Nurse Manager of the Dialysis Unit, and provides safe and individualized nursing care to patients within the Kernersville, NC Health Care Center (HCC). The incumbent will interact and collaborate with patients, families, other health care and supportive personnel, and will work closely with the other healthcare professionals and team members, internal or external services and community agencies in the coordination of patient care.
Routine duties may include, but not be limited to:
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to the delivery of care to patients with end stage renal disease.
- Oversees the preparation of the delivery system, dialysate bath, and dialyzer and confirms that all mandatory alarm tests on the dialyzer and equipment are performed.
- Reviews physician orders for dialysis patients, collects pre-treatment dialysis data, and reviews patient records prior to dialysis.
- Conducts pre-dialysis patient assessment including obtaining patient vital signs and assessing the patient's vascular access, laboratory findings, and the patient's general health.
- Documents findings of patient assessments and interventions and advises providers of any significant change in the patient's condition and other pertinent information.
- Oversees dialysis technicians in the performance of dialysis from start to finish, monitors patient reaction to treatment and performance of the dialysis machines, and demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the mechanics of dialysis.
- Conducts post dialysis assessment and patient discharge by evaluating treatment, documenting medication administration utilizing the appropriate protocols, assessing condition of vascular access, discharging the patient when vital signs are stable, and documenting and recording patient treatment data.
- Provides patient education/teaching applicable to the patient's medical condition.
- Performs surveillance and testing of dialysis water treatment equipment and dialysis water (such as chlorine, hardness, conductivity, water cultures) to ensure that these machines are operating within the parameters set in the facility's written protocols.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of dialysis laboratory tests and dialysis medications. Participates in quality improvement activities to include collection of data for the dialysis unit Quality Assurance Performance Improvement (QAPI) plan.
- Works closely with others on the dialysis team and participates in interdisciplinary team meetings.
Financial Disclosure Report:Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.