Registered Nurse (PCMHI-OP MH)
The Registered Nurse will work in the Primary Care Mental Health Integration-Outpatient Mental Health Clinic located in Kerrville, Texas for the South Texas Veterans Healthcare System. You will demonstrate a therapeutic relationship with the acute and chronic mentally ill patient by focusing attention on the emotional and behavioral concerns through a mutually defined professional relationship. You will perform complex, systematic psychiatric assessments which include the total health status of the patient. You will demonstrates leadership in utilizing verbal and behavioral treatment modalities. You will complete structured clinical assessments for patients, that requires knowledge of medical terminology, diagnostic categories, and chart review. You will review assessments completed by others, and obtain missing information from providers, patients and medical records. You will demonstrate appropriate of computer software including the use of the BHL software program for interviewing participants (this includes determining the appropriate level of care need for patients not in treatment and the ability to understand the variety of clinical options available through the medical center and local community), CPRS and other clinical related software or programs. You will Initiate patient and family education to include information about mental illness, medication, benefits and consequences of behaviors, coping strategies, evaluations and assessments and legal treatment modalities. This includes the development of an appropriate treatment plan and/or safety plan for patients, and the ability to communicate that plan to the patient's provider. You will provide for self-expression and processing of feelings in a group setting. You will demonstrate extensive oral and written communication skills: contact patients through written correspondence and telephone calls, and conduct the initial core assessment and all follow-up interviews and create and maintain forms, surveys, instruments, and materials for proper coordination of the different treatment modules.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 7:30am-4:00pm OR 8:00am-4:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA Form 10-2850a
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- VA Form 10-2850a