Licensed Vocational Nurse (La Grange)
These positions will be located at La Grange Outpatient Clinic, LaGrange, Texas.
The LVN performs patient care duties under the direct supervision of the RN. He/she provides patient care which is appropriate to the cognitive, emotional, spiritual, chronological, recreational, and diversion needs of the adult (ages 17-59) or geriatric (ages 65+) patient. The LVN demonstrates knowledge of changes associated with aging and provides care based upon age related factors as specified in his/her competencies. Contributes to the interdisciplinary team in developing, implementing, and evaluating the patient's treatment plan. Promotes patient participation in the therapeutic community by fostering self-reliance and independence. Performs assigned duties, treatments, or procedures in acceptable timeframes, following established policies and practices. Performs more complex treatments as assigned. Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability while promoting a team oriented concept of providing quality service. The initial training and competency will be required to be completed at the Austin OPC and until the LaGrange clinic opens.
Functional Statement Title: Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) GS - 6.Basic Requirements:
* U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
* Must be a graduate of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State accrediting agency and/or the National League for Nursing at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
* Must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
* Must have a full, current, active and unrestricted license as a graduate licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States or District of Columbia.
* Must pass a pre-employment examination if selected.
* A minimum of 3 years of successful clinical nursing practice as a Licensed Vocational Nurse
* 2 years of experience in ambulatory care/outpatient care
* Evidence of continuous learning, such as attending seminars or conferences, continuing formal education and providing in-services back to the unit staff.
* Demonstrated skill in performing multiple tasks, managing assignments, and expediting oral and written communications.
* Experienced in Phlebotomy, Performing EKGs, Focused assessments, with excellent communication and documentation skills.
* Skill in utilizing VistA, BCMA, CPRS, Outlook, fax machines, copiers, etc.
GS-6: Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent, fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN:
* Technically proficient in initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations.
* Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record relevant patient information. Completed work should need only a general review by a registered nurse (RN) or physician (MD/DO) for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures.
* Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors.
* Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures. Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting any deviations from normal to RN or MD/DO
* Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD/DO, and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed
* Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff
* Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery. Effectively incorporates knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers
* Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedure. Serves as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPNs/LVNs or NAs/HTs related to support duties for these more complex, specialized tests/procedures.
* Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
References: VA Handbook 5005/3, Part II, Appendix G-13 Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements: This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Application 10-2850c is required to be considered for this position. Please complete form in its entirety. If you answer "YES" to questions item # 15B and/or item # 28 through # 37, please attach a separate sheet of paper with a brief explanation for each question to which you answered "Yes". Information must current not older than a year. Outdated and/or incomplete applications will be ineligible for consideration.
Other - VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (required). http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf - Information must be current not older than a year. Outdated and/or incomplete applications will be considered ineligible.
Resume: Your resume must include the following information for each job you list: Job title; Complete Work Place Addresses ; Duties (be as detailed as possible); Month and year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008); Full-time or part-time status, PRN (include hours worked per week) Information must be current not older than a year.
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s), which may not be required for all applicants (if applicable):
*DD-214 - If claiming Veteran's Preference
*Other Veterans Document - VA Rating Letter
*SF-50 - If current Federal Employee
*Cover Letter - Optional
*OF-306 - Optional
*SF-15 - Optional
*Transcript - optional
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.