Operating Room RN
Certification: CNOR preferred
The Minneapolis VAHCS operating room is an 18 bed operative suite that serves as an important component in the continuum of care in the Medical Center. The purpose of the unit is to provide intra operative nursing care to veterans requesting elective surgical interventions in addition to meeting the urgent and emergent surgical needs of our veteran population. Intra operative patient care is available 24/7 with on call coverage during night time, weekends and holidays. The Minneapolis VA operating room is classified as delivering complex surgical care including cardiothoracic (including open heart), neurosurgical, orthopedic, ENT, GYN, general, colorectal, podiatry, ophthalmology, urologic, vascular (including endovascular) and oral surgery.
Registered Nurse competencies unique to this clinical area include circulating and scrub nurse duties consisting of peri operative core competencies as well as surgical subspecialty competencies in cardiovascular/peripheral surgery, ENT surgery, Dental/oral surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Ophthalmology Surgery, GYN surgery, General/Colorectal Surgery, Neurosurgery, Gynecology Surgery, Urology surgery, Plastic, and Podiatry Services. Staff clean RME (Reusable Medical Equipment) per SOP (Standard Operating Procedure).
Work Schedule: Straight Evenings 1:30-10PM - Call will be required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
For Registered Nurses, requirements include:
Heavy Lifting (up to 35 lbs); Moderate Carrying (15-35 lbs); Reaching Above Shoulder; Ability and dexterity of hand(s) to manage gross and fine motor tasks of patient care (i.e. IV insertion, wound care management, etc.); Walking Throughout Assigned Shift; Standing As Duties Require; Kneeling as Duties Require; Repeated Bending As Duties Require; Near Vision Correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far Vision Correctable in One Eye To 20/50 and to 20/100 In the Other; Color Vision; Hearing (aid permitted); and Specific Hearing Requirements.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1.CV or Resume.
2.VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetist. Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf
3.VA Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment. Available at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
4.If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 (required).
5. Three references, one which should be a signed and dated performance review. If a new graduate please provide 3 letters of recommendation from clinical instructors or preceptors.
1.CV or Resume.
2.VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetist (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf
3. SF-50 - https://eopf.nbc.gov/va/
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document