Chief Nurse (Nurse IV)
This position is located at the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (VAGLAHS). As Chief Nurse you will provide program management to ensure coordination of care including oversight of nursing clinical practice, administrative, and leadership accountability for your assigned area. You will execute leadership for integrated programs that cross service and/or discipline lines and influence organizational mission and health care. Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Functions as administrator, educator, and consultant utilizing management theory in collaboration with Patient Care Services and other services
- Oversees nursing practice, oversight and performance
- Manages nurse managers and nursing staff
- Plans, organizes, directs, controls and evaluates programs and outcomes
- Advises administrative and clinical leadership on proposed changes as they relate to patient care
- Handles complex personnel management problems
- Participates in executive level decision making deliberations and provides guidance and direction for the development and implementation of established standards of nursing practice
- Provides consultation on issues related to personnel, budget, and forecast projections
- Ensures nurse managers and advance practitioners carry out the functions to ensure quality patient care and achieve program objectives
- Creates and maintains a positive organizational climate and culture including such issues as work environment, diversity, employee recognition, and safety
- Ensures compliance with facility Clinical Practice Guidelines, Performance Measures, and Clinical Reminder Alerts
- Develops and implements education model to support nursing staff needs related to training, on-going education, and continuing education for nursing staff
- Participates in policy-making activities as related to patient care
- Collaborates with other health care staff to establish and maintain programs across the organization
- Plans, schedules, and carries out major projects concerned with the analysis and evaluation of program s or organizational effectiveness including collaboration with multidisciplinary partners
- Exercises discretion and judgment in determining the scope of projects or studies
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required.Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Three (3) years of Nursing Leadership experience within the past five (5) years.
- Competency in Program and/or Administration Management.
- Four (4) to five (5) years of operational management experience.
- Nurse IV - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 4-5 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and appropriate basic or advanced certification desired, and approximately 3-4 years of nursing practice/experience.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50;s, etc.
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document