Licensed Practical Nurse
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is currently recruiting for one Full-time, Permanent, Licensed Practical Nurse. These positions will be located in the Extended Care & Rehabilitation (EC&R) Service Line. As a Licensed Practical Nurse, you are responsible for the following duties to include, but not limited to:
- Perform a variety of nursing care activities that include bathing, feeding, oral care and related personal hygiene duties.
- Assist with range of motion, ambulating, lifting, positioning, and self-help activities.
- Observe report and record obvious and less obvious changes in the patient's condition.
- Maintain Certification in CPR.
- Clean and maintain patient's bedside units and ward work areas.
- Accompany patients off station as requested, assisting with recreational and socialization activities.
- Practice safe work habits by utilizing proper body mechanics in patient lifting, equipment handling and patient care related activities as well as practice universal precautions and follow blood borne pathogen/infectious material standards. The physical demands of the position include extensive periods of standing and walking and working with patients requires regular and recurring bending, lifting, stooping, stretching, and similar activities.
- The duties are performed in a hospital/extended care environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to provide a full range of practical nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems.
- Demonstrate ability to interact in an appropriate manner with patients, family members, professional and other supportive personnel involved in the delivery of patient care.
- Adhere to principles of infection control, safety and universal precautions.
- Recognize and appropriately respond to breakage/malfunction or loss of equipment, safety hazards, and supply deficiencies, promptly reporting to appropriate personnel for corrective action.
- Prepare and administer prescribed medications and perform treatments according to established policies/procedures.
Work Schedule: The tour of duty for this position is typically NIGHTS, rotating weekends and holidays are required. Flexibility in tours and days of the week are required. Additional information regarding the tour of duty for this position will be discussed during the interview process.
Functional Statement Title/#: Licensed Practical NurseBasic Requirements:
- Citizen of the United States.
- Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
- Applicant must possess and maintain a full, active, current, and unrestricted license as a licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth of the United States or in the District of Columbia.
- Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
- None beyond the Basic Requirements.
- Six months of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN; OR
- Graduation from an approved school and one year of experience that involved nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures; OR
- Graduation from an approved school of at least 24 months duration.
- Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-4 level or equivalent.
- Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent.
Note: The full performance level of this vacancy is 06. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-03 to GS-06. The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and step at which the candidate will be placed. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/3, Part II, Appendix G13 LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated April 10, 2003. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The work requires some standing, walking, bending, lifting, and carrying of light items. The work requires agility and dexterity and may require heavy lifting of equipment or patients. In many situations, the duration of the activity (such as most of a workday) contributes to the arduous nature of the job. Duties require extensive periods of standing and walking. Working with patients requires regular and recurring bending, lifting, stooping, stretching, and similar activities.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes the following REQUIRED material listed below:
- Complete and current professional resume or CV.
- VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations. Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
- Responses to the Occupational Questionnaire. (Listed within the Application Manager program when you click on the "Apply Online" button).
- Please use the checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.