LPN HBPC Internal
The Licensed Practical Nurse in this position is under the Home Based Primary Care Service aligned with the Ambulatory Care Line. There are (2) positions open at this time, one will be located at the Rome Outpatient Clinic, located at 125 Brookley Road, Building 510, Rome, NY 13441 and the other at the Syracuse VAMC. The incumbent in this position has the knowledge and skills necessary for concentrated effort and self-direction in carrying out the most complex practical nursing care assignments, including assignment for selected acute care, long term or ambulatory care, or psychiatric patients requiring skilled nursing care. Serves as a member of the health care team with these patients and provides care to them on a regular basis. Completes assigned duties and responsibilities which involve performing non-standard and specialized practical nursing activities at the GS-6 level, requiring broad work experience and demonstrated skill sufficient to resolve a range of nursing problems. Some of the duties include, but are not limited to:
- Follows established policies, procedures, protocols, and uses sound nursing principles in the delivery of patient care.
- Interacts with patients appropriately.
- Works cooperatively with others.
- Documents patient observations and care.
- Communicates information to other members of the health care team to facilitate holistic care.
- Functions in a dependable, reliable and safe manner in the performance of nursing care.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with patients, visitors and staff in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
*** NOTE: This Licensed Practical Nurse announcement is open to current permanent employees of the Syracuse VAMC, current permanent employees of VA Nationwide, and current permanent Federal employees of other Federal agencies, ONLY. If you are not a VA or Federal employee, as described above, please apply through the Licensed Practical Nurse announcement CBAL-18-REW-10109405 open to US Citizens***Basic Requirements:
- U.S. Citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education. Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate state, agency and/or accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency (or) the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing Website http://www.acenursing.org.
- Licensure. Full, active, current and unrestricted Licensure as a licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or District of Columbia.
- English Language Proficiency. Licensed practical or vocational nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in (both) spoken and written English.
Grade Determination. In addition to the basic requirements stated in section A, the following qualification criteria must be met for each grade. The candidate's qualifications must clearly demonstrate the level of competence required for the grade.
GS-3. None beyond the basic requirements. [LPNs at this grade level are expected to perform all duties within the scope of their license (e.g., medication administration); however, completed work may require routine or detailed higher level review depending upon the complexity of the duties involved.]
GS-4. [Employees may be appointed at or advanced to GS-4 if they meet any of the criteria in paragraphs 3b(2)(a) through (c) below:
-Six months of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN; or
-Graduation from an approved school (which may be waived as provided in paragraph 4 of Section C) and one year of experience that involved nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures; or
-Graduation from an approved school of at least 24 months duration.
-LPNs at the GS-4 grade level perform all duties expected of employees at the GS-3 grade level; however, they are expected to exercise greater judgment, require less supervision, and to operate in accordance with all established policies, procedure, and techniques.]
GS-5 -Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-4 level or equivalent.
GS-6 -Completion of] at least [one (1)] year of [additional] qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent [fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN.
References: VA Handbook 5005/3 Part II, Appendix G13. Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standards. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-6. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of 3 to 6.Physical Requirements: The population of male and female veterans served ranges from the adult, age 18, to the elderly adult, age 65 and over. The Syracuse Veterans Administration Medical Center is a major interdisciplinary teaching facility, serving medical, surgical, and neurological inpatients and outpatients. There is a large outpatient psychiatric population, with admissions for medical co-morbidities. This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires driving to patient's homes, periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, and sitting. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
- Cover Letter