Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 7:30am/-4:00pm; no alternate schedule at this time - NO weekends or on call
This position requires a Registered Nurse with a minimum of two years experience in medical/surgical/telemetry and at least one year working with gastroenterology patients in an outpatient setting. Experience with procedural gastroenterology care, primarily colonoscopy and upper endoscopy, is preferred. Professional practice includes demonstrated skills using the nursing process to manage stable gastroenterology patients. Applicants must have demonstrated skills in collaborating with other team members to include technical and professional staff across the continuum of care. The RN must be knowledgeable of computer systems to be easily trained in the computerized patient record and be skilled in teaching patients and families regarding gastroenterology procedures. The RN must maintain BLS and ACLS certification and be eligible or have current certification for administration of conscious sedation.
The Fort Worth VA facility offers a modern state of the art GI endoscopy suite with new equipment. The incumbent will participate in gastroenterology procedures (pre, intra and post), follow-up with patients to ensure compliance with recommended medical regimen, detecting procedural complications and reporting of treatment outcomes. This position requires no weekend or on-call commitment.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Pushing and pulling (up to 4 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Kneeling (up to 5 hours); Repeated bending (up to 2 hours); Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted) and Emotional and Mental Stability.
Participation in the seasonal influenza program is a condition of employment and a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP). HCP are individuals who, during the influenza season, work in VHA locations where patients receive care or who come into contact with VA patients as part of their duties. VHA locations include, but are not limited to, VA hospitals and associated clinics, community living centers (CLCs), community-based outpatient clinics (CBOCs), domiciliary units, Vet centers and VA-leased facilities. HCP include all VA licensed and unlicensed, clinical and administrative, paid and unpaid, full- and part-time employees, intermittent employees, fee basis employees, VA contractors, students, researchers, volunteers, and trainees who work at these facilities.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
***You must provide a complete application package which includes:***
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetist (Available at http://vaww.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf) (required).
3. Occupational Questionnaire (only required if unable to apply on line)
4. Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf). This is a required form and must be submitted with your application.
5. Copy of your nursing license which shows current expiration date (required).
6. If a current Federal employee, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (required).
7. If claiming veteran's preference you must include the following documents:
a. All copies of your DD Forms 214, member 2 or 4 copy that shows your character of discharge
(required if claiming).
b. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, should also complete and submit a signed SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) required if claiming.
c. A copy of your disability rating letter (required if claiming).
***Current VANTHCS employees must submit the following documents***
1. Resume (required)
2. Copy of your latest SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) required
3. Any other supporting documentation if desired
4. Occupational Questionnaire (only required if unable to apply on line)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document