Sterile Processing Transporter-Sterile Processing (5am - 1:30pm)
opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community when they need us the most. With 981 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, cancer care, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics.
As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community having been ranked No. 1 in the Express-News Reader's Choice Awards. We also enjoy being the most preferred hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research Corporation. Methodist Hospital has been nationally recognized by Leapfrogs Hospital Safety Grade A, accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care, and designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.sahealth.com/ and select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
General Statement of Duties:
Sterile Processing transporter is responsible for transporting case carts and other items between SPD, OR Suites, and other departments in the facility. Retrieve and reallocate items from Sterile Processing and OR on subsequent cases. Locate, find and deliver items needed for ongoing, and/or subsequent OR cases. Assists with loading and unloading of items from or include case carts, sterilizer racks, supply racks, washer racks, and case cart washer racks. Works with Manager, Supervisor, SPD Coordinators, and/or OR Coordinators in performing duties in a timely manner.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Provide transportation of clean and dirty case carts, surgical items, and other items to appropriate locations throughout the hospital. Delivers additional instrumentation that may be required during the procedure to the Operating Room staff.
2. Promotes an efficient, smooth workflow in the department by actively making rounds and assisting all staff in the transports of instrument containers, case cart set-ups, instrument turnovers, and immediate use sterilization. Makes rounds routinely to pick-up and drop-off case carts and other items to appropriate locations throughout the hospital.
3. Communicating with other transporters as assigned or as needed to support the transportation needs of the organization. . Maintaining constant contact with an immediate response to calls, including the reporting of all delays, cancellations or remarkable events related to transport assignments by collaborating with OR Coordinators and Surgical Services staff members.
4. Report all equipment needs and/or repairs to manager and removing any unsafe or broken equipment from operation. Reports Operating Room issues/complaints to OR Coordinator or Sterile Processing Manager/Supervisor.
5. Maintains a cooperative and ethical relationship with customers. Communicates appropriately and professionally with peers. Resolves issues or offers alternatives when necessary.
6. Understands and follows infection control/universal precautions in the performance of all task. Adhering to all policies and procedures related to case cart transport, infection control, confidentiality and the use of universal precautions when required. Cleans the area and equipment as directed following unit standards.