Nursing Assistant - Various Units
This vacancy announcement is for a Nursing Assistant for multiple units within Stratton VA Medical Center, to include Geriatrics, Medical-Surgical, Behavioral, and Float Pool. If selected, you will perform care as delegated by a Registered Nurse to patients within the unit and medical center. You will perform work in assisting other medical personnel in the care or treatment of patients who have serious and sometimes life-threatening illnesses or medical conditions. Your basic responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
* Using lift equipment to assist patients in getting in and out of bed.
* Recognizing mal-adaptive behaviors and de-escalating situations.
* Assisting doctors and nurses in the performing diagnostic examinations.
* Properly documenting vital signs in computerized records.
* Performing patient care and comfort measures addressing patient's bio psychosocial needs, personal hygiene, physical comfort, nutrition, hydration, rehabilitation, and safety.
* Reporting abnormalities to appropriate personnel.
* Recognizing emergency situations and intervening within your scope of practice, while waiting for assistance.
* Communicating with people from various backgrounds and education levels.
* Transporting patient to and from procedure if needed.
* All other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Various tours/shifts.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education or Training. One year above high school with courses related to the Nursing Assistant occupation.
Completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a nursing assistant may
also meet in full the experience requirements for GS-3.
- English Language Proficiency. Nursing Assistants must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider required prior to first day of duty
- One year of nursing assistant experience preferred
- One year mental health nursing assistant experience preferred
- Phlebotomy skills preferred
GS-3: None above the basic requirements
GS-4: (a) Experience. One year of specialized experience as a [NA] or experience in another medical field (licensed practical nurse, health technician, hospital corpsman, etc.), performing technical and nursing skills requiring knowledge of the human physical and emotional states, therapeutic communication, and technical skills required for basic and intermediate treatments;
(b) Education. Successful completion of 2 years above high school in an accredited institution with courses related to nursing care, health care or in a field of study appropriate to the specialization of the position, such as education in a program for psychology, psychiatric, or operating room technicians; AND
(c) Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Ability to provide a range of patient/resident care and contribute to the completion of the nurse care plan and recovery of patients/residents.
2. Ability to observe patients/residents' or resident's physical or emotional status and refer deviations and/or problems to supervisor in a timely manner.
3. Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures such as bladder scan, continuous passive motion device, blood glucose monitoring machine, specimen collection, etc.
4. Ability to communicate effectively with patients/residents, their families and other health professionals.
GS-5: (a) Experience. One year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to the GS-4 level which demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities that are directly related to the specific assignment. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the professional KSAs in subparagraph (c) below;
(b) Education. Successful completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree that included 24 semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor's degree; AND
(c) Demonstrated KSAs
1. Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse.
2. Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes serving as a preceptor to new [NAs] by assisting with the coordination of their orientation and overseeing/assessing their practical experience while in a clinical setting.
3. Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis, etc.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G46
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-05. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of to GS-03 to GS-05.Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting 45 lbs., carrying, 1 hour, heavy carrying, 45 pounds and over, pushing (4 hours), reaching over shoulder, both hands required, walking (4 hours), standing (4 hours), kneeling, repeated bending, both legs required, ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously, ability to distinguish colors.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
- Cover Letter
- VA 2850c
- Other Veterans Document