LPN - Endoscopy
The Charles George VA Medical Center is seeking one (1) experienced Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) to work in Endoscopy. The LPN functions as an active member of the interdisciplinary team; assisting with pre- and post-procedure education for patients and family, and organizing patient care assignments. The Endoscopy LPN reports directly to the Nurse Manager who reports to the Chief Nurse, Outpatient and Procedural Care.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Administers medication accurately and promptly under the general supervision of a registered nurse.
- Demonstrates understanding of the effects and/or reactions caused by medications, treatments, and procedures. Records and reports these observations.
- Performs personal care, diagnostic support duties and treatments according to procedure
- Responds to patient's nursing needs, including physical comfort, and emotional needs and recognizing deviations from the normal. Will involve patients and family to participate in the provision of care throughout the continuum.
- Participates and reinforces resources and referrals. Completes assignments in a timely manner with constructive utilization of remaining time.
- Serves as a member of the interdisciplinary team, interacting with patients, families, professionals and supportive personnel. Organizes patient care assignments to meet the needs of the patients. Participates in planning nursing care, recognizing changing needs and prioritizing assignments. Participation in the coordination of care and recommends resources and referrals.
- Clearly demonstrates ability to comprehend, interpret, and function within the individual's Professional Practice.
- Participates in ongoing activities/education/certification opportunities demonstrating personal accountability for owning one's practice.
- Maintains a safe, clean, therapeutic environment and adheres to infection control guidelines.
- Participates in accomplishing unit maintenance tasks which includes checking equipment to ensure that it is functioning safely.
- Identifies potential risk and takes necessary precautions to insure the safety of the patient.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday (7:30 am - 4:00 pm) 80 hours/pay period; On-Call duty is required on rotating basis
Financial Disclosure Report: Not RequiredBasic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State [ ] agency and/or [accredited by] the National League for Nursing [Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)] at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency [or] the National League for Nursing [Accrediting Commission], 61 Broadway, 33rd Floor, New York, NY 10006. Additional information may also be obtained from the NLNAC Website.
- Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure as a [ ] licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or District of Columbia.
- Licensed practical or vocational nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in [both] spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), and 7407(d).
(a) Completion of at least [one (1) year of [additional] qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent, fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN.
(b) Technically proficient in initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations.
(c) Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record relevant] patient information. Completed work [should need] only a general review by a registered nurse [(RN) or physician (MD/DO)] for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures.
(d) Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and [patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors.
(e) Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures. Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting any deviations from normal to RN or MD/DO.
(f) Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD/DO, and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed.
(g) Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff.
(h) Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery. Effectively incorporates knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers.
(i) Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedure. Serves as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPNs/LVNs or NAs/HTs related to support duties for these more complex, specialized tests/procedures.
(j) Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
References: VA HANDBOOK 5005/3, PART II, APPENDIX G13 LICENSED PRACTICAL OR VOCATIONAL NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-6.Physical Requirements: In accordance with VA Handbook 5019, Part II, Paragraph 3, II-1, 1(a), a pre-placement examination to determine the physical, cognitive, and emotional fitness of candidates for appointment in VA is required, and shall be completed prior to appointment, for all full-time individuals appointed under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 73, for Title 38 positions.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
Three (3) years clinical nursing experience as an LPN
Documented knowledge/skills/experience in care of endoscopy patients
Documented knowledge/skills/experience in use of highly technical equipment
Documented knowledge of Endoscopy procedures
Documented knowledge/skills in patient teaching
Documented skill in effective interpersonal communication and collaboration with multidisciplinary team members
Documented skill in collecting and recording assessment data. and use of computerized medical record
Evidence of dependability/reliability
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- 10-2850c Application
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
- Cover Letter
- 10-2850c Application
- Other Veterans Document