Registered Nurse - Telemetry
This position is within section 7B of the Syracuse VA Medical Center is a 22 bed Medical/Surgical /Chronic ventilator and telemetry unit. 10 of these beds are Telemetry capable. The unit is comprised of 6 private rooms (four of which are designated as negative pressure, 1 Bariatric), and eight 2-bed rooms. Capabilities for ventilators are located within each room on the unit. 2 of the Private rooms have the capability of providing bedside Hemodialysis.
7B cares for veteran patients of all ages with the following medical diagnosis most commonly seen; COPD, pneumonia, CAD, CHF, angina, syncope, CVAs and R/O MI. We care for surgical patients pre-operative and post-operative for a wide variety of surgical interventions. We care for general surgery patients, ENT patients, GU patients, neurosurgical patients and same day surgical and procedure patients as needed for overnight care. Nursing care on this unit requires particular skill in physical assessment, pain management, knowledge of fluid and electrolyte balance, artificial airway maintenance and telemetry Duties include, but are not limited to:
- The incumbent will be responsible for providing care to a diverse population of patients with a wide spectrum of conditions.
- The incumbents will be expected to float to other units when staffing needs fluctuate.
- Incumbent will be responsible and accountable for all elements of the nursing process when providing and/or supervising direct patient care.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates care based on age-specific components.
- Assumes responsibility for the coordination of care focused on patient transition through the continuum of care, patient and family education, patient self-management after discharge, and supporting factors that impact customer satisfaction.
- Considers all characteristics of the individual, including age and life stages, state of health, race and culture, values, and previous experiences.
- Administers medications and procedures per established policies and guidelines. Influences care outcomes by collaborating with members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Core elements of performance include knowledge and active participation in unit/program level quality improvement processes and initiatives as well as customer service programs.
Functional Statement Title/#: RN: Nurse I-II
Financial Disclosure Report: Not requiredBasic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
THERE ARE TWO REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document