Licensed Practical Nurse - Specialty Clinics (Derm)
This position is located in the Specialty Clinics of VA Medical Center, Lebanon PA. The purpose of the position is to provide nursing care which requires less than full professional nursing education, but requires the knowledge and skills represented by licensure as a licensed practical (vocational) nurse. Employee is directly supervised by the Nurse Manager of the Specialty Clinics and is responsible for delivery of medical care to ill and/ or injured patients under the direction of a Registered Nurse, Medical Doctor, or Doctor of Osteopathy.
- Promotes positive patient/family/staff relationship by utilizing appropriate communication skills and administers commonly prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/ or intravenous) as permitted by approved local facility policies and procedures.
- Observes patient's response to medication administered and reports any noted change in patient's condition to RN or MD/DO.
- Recognizes the need for and institutes emergency measures when indicated, promptly seeks the assistance of the RN or MD/DO, and assists in resuscitation procedures in cardiac and/ or pulmonary arrest.
- Performs support duties for common diagnostic tests and or practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing specimens, preparing and passing instruments, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during and after the procedure.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency or the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, 61 Broadway, 33rd Floor, New York, NY 10006. Additional information may also be obtained from the NLNAC Website. Exceptions include:
(1) Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for full LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment.
(2) VHA employees who were converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) in implementation of Public Law 98-160, enacted November 21, 1983, and for VHA employees converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7405 in implementation of Public Law 99-576, enacted October 28, 1986; and for their future personnel actions under this authority. The waiver will not apply to persons appointed under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) or 7405 after these conversions.
(3) Individuals granted a license by a jurisdiction that does not require graduation from an approved school.
Licensure. Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure as a licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or District of Columbia.
English Language Proficiency. Licensed practical or vocational nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in both spoken and written English.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Preferred Experience: At least one year of nursing experience
GS-3: None beyond the basic requirements.
GS-4: Employees may be appointed at or advanced to GS-4 if they meet any of the following criteria : (a) Six months of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN; or (b) Graduation from an approved school (which may be waived in accordance with policy) and one year of experience that involved nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures; or (c) Graduation from an approved school of at least 24 months duration.
GS-5: Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-4 level or equivalent.
GS-6: Completion of at least 1 year of additional qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent, fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS - 06. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS - 03 to GS - 06.
Physical Requirements: You must be able to perform work that requires regular and recurrent bending, lifting 45 pounds or more, stooping, climbing, reaching above the shoulder, stretching, and similar activities supporting various weights; walking and standing for 8 hours; frequent pushing medication carts, wheelchairs, litters, beds; use of fingers, both hands and both legs; emotional stability (you must be able to care for Veterans with various medical and psychiatric illnesses who at times may exhibit unpredictable behavior and may have the potential to be physically or verbally assaultive); near vision correctable at 13" to 16" / far vision correctable in one eye to 20/50 and to 20/100 in the other / both eyes required with ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted).
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search. REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION