INPATIENT MENTAL HEALTH NURSE
The VA Southern Nevada Health care Team is currently seeking experienced Registered Nurse's (RN) to fill positions within the Inpatient Mental Health Clinic.
The Registered Nurse (Inpatient Mental Health) is directly responsible to the Nurse Manager of the Mental Health Unit. The incumbent provides care and counseling of persons or in the promotion and maintenance of health and prevention of illness and injury based upon the nursing process which includes systematic data gathering, assessment, appropriate nursing judgment, and evaluation of human responses to actual or potential health problems through such services as case finding, health teaching, health counseling; provision of care supportive to or restorative of life and well-being; and executing medical regimens including administering medications and treatments prescribed by a licensed or otherwise legally authorized provider.
Performed duties will include, but not limited to:
- Develops and maintains therapeutic relationships with all patients;
- Assesses the physical and mental health needs of assigned patients;
- Provides age-appropriate care in a culturally and ethically sensitive manner;
- Responsible for maintaining PMDB, BLS, and other required trainings;
- Manages psychiatric emergencies and intervenes with therapeutic principles of PMDB when clinically indicated;
- Provides structure and maintains a safe therapeutic milieu & recovery-oriented environment;
- Documents application of the nursing process in a responsible, accountable manner;
- Engages in teamwork to ensure a fair distribution of work and assignments;
- Collaborates with treatment team to develop and revise a patient-centered plan of care;
- Documents nursing plan of care in Mental health Suite appropriately within required time frames;
- Implements nursing interventions to assist Veterans in their recovery;
- Demonstrates knowledge of psychotropic medications and other prescribed medications;
- Administers and monitors for effectiveness and reactions to psychotropic medications and other prescribed medications;
- Communicates and interacts professionally with all internal and external customers;
- Maintains confidentiality of electronic, written and verbal patient/employee information;
- Performs admission/discharges/transfers duties.
Work Schedule: Various day tours Monday through Friday. (Scheduled hours will not exceed 40 hours per week.) Employee may be required to work weekends and holidays as business necessity dictates. Alternate work schedules may be available.
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Heavy Lifting, 45 pounds and over
Heavy Carrying, 45 pounds and over
Reaching above shoulder
Use of fingers
Both Hand required
Walking (4 hours)
Standing (4 hours)
Repeated bending (2-4 hours)
Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4
Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other
Ability to distinguish basic colors
Hearing (aid permitted)
Mental and Emotional Stability
Slippery or uneven walking surfaces
Working with hands in water
Working closely with othersWorking alone
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA 10-2850 A
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- VA 10-2850 A