Registered Nurse (RN) - Valve Clinic Full-time Days 7-10 Hrs
Performs direct patient care within the scope of the nurse practice act, as it applies to the outcomes and process in the Valve Clinic. Plans, coordinates and implements the care of the valve patient in the outpatient setting. Scope of the role includes acting as a liaison with physicians, patient/families and ancillary departments. Assessment of financial, medical and social resources of current and potential vale program patients in conjunction with the research team. Coordination of information flow among the medical, nursing, financial and research staff as appropriate. Development and implement a teaching plan with the patient and family. To include lab valves, medication overview and diagnosis related information. Assist the research team in the coordination of patient charts, diagnostic studies and other applicable information per protocol.
1. Plan, coordinate, and implement care of the valve patients in the outpatient clinic.
-Review clinical progress of patients and coordinates communications to referring, valve and primary care physicians along with the research team.
-Plan, organize and provide direct care to the valve patient.
-Facilitate the development of a patient specific teaching plan.
-Review patients current health information, relay information and make referrals as necessary to the physician and research partners.
2. Review and order medications appropriate to the patient.
-Initiate Lovenox Bridge and renal protection as per protocol.
3. Serve as a resource for the hospital staff regarding the care of the valve patient.
-Educate patient and families regarding planned procedures, medications and treatments.
-Make referral as appropriate as noted by the physician
4. Coordinate information among:
-Referring, primary care and valve clinic physicians
-Answer patient/family phone calls, field questions appropriately
5. Participate in creating an environment that implements the mission, vision, and values of the organization
-Encourages collegiality when integrating valve services with other departments.
6. Responsible for full nursing assessment of clinic patients, including documentation of vital signs, sign and symptoms of disease process, NYHA and angina class.
-Responsible for reviewing all diagnostic imaging studies, lab values and notify MD as appropriate for abnormal findings.
7. Knowledge and application of pertinent computer programs and imaging software (i.e. MUSE, Kinetdx, Scimage, PACS)