As one of the nation's premier centers of excellence in patient care, medical education and biomedical research, NYU Langone Health (NYULH) provides a professional environment in which nurses can perform at their best and excel in their careers. Each and every day, is a new opportunity to learn, to grow, and to be a part of what makes us world-class.
NYULH nurses can choose from many clinical services and programs to begin or mature a professional career path that can span decades. The many opportunities that are available for nurses at all levels, from new Baccalaureate RN graduates to Advanced Practice Nurses, offer the ability to deliver world class nursing care in an intellectually-stimulating academic environment. Nurses at NYULH also demonstrate their professional practice through participation in the various councils that govern the practice of nursing, the quality of our care, and the discovery of new knowledge.
||The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Unit Clerk.
In this role, the successful candidate Provides link for effective communication within nursing unit and interdepartmentally. Assists all authorized persons on nursing unit and ascertains identity and purpose of all person coming to unit. Assists with patient related activities
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Transfer or discharge of patient: Prepares for transfer or discharge making appropriate entries, makes up discharge form, removes name of patient from all unit records. Has necessary forms ready (Death Certificate, Autopsy Permits, Discharge Slip, etc.), carries out all clerical routines as noted in discharge of patient.
- Makes out and maintains unit records as required. Keeps statistics as directed. Admission of patient: Greets, escorts and introduces patient, checks identity by comparing I.D. bracelet, addressograph plate and admission/discharge sheet, prepares clinical charts, notifies physician of patients arrival, enters name of patient on all unit records, labels door and patients bed with name tag.
- Initiates and follows through on issues regarding supply, maintenance and repair of equipment. Reports needs of repairs to NM/ANM or designee. Prepares repair slips. Calls Engineering or Environmental Services Department, as needed. Prepares repair tags for equipment loaned to other areas and checks for return. Contacts appropriate person (s) for removal of equipment no longer needed (traction, Central Supply items, CPMs, etc.).
- Performs clerical duties relating to admission, discharge, transfers and death of patient.
- Initiates and follows through on transactions regarding sending specimens to laboratories. Receives and records telephone reports on emergency lab work. Places calls to technicians or residents for stat and/or emergency procedures.
- Xeroxes or provides for copying of charts and other materials as necessary. Files ICIS reports appropriately.
- Requisitions, stores and returns old charts to Medical Records. Provides for safe and confidential handling of charts and records.Debrides charts of long-term patients as per instructions of NM/ANM and stores old records of thinned out chart in safe location at nurses station.
- Maintains supply of all chart forms in appropriate storage area of nursing unit. Records discharge or transfer of patient in Discharge/Transfer Book.
- Adds patient reports to charts as received and sends reports of discharged or transferred patients to appropriate department.
- Keeps adequate supply of assembled charts available at all times. Provides for proper addressographing/patient identification on all current patient records. Adds chart forms as needed.
- Monitors and maintains proper patient identification on each patients door and bed. Prepares renewals list daily. Arranges for patient transportation to and from diagnostic procedures as per instruction of primary nurse/designee.
- Prepares list of patients who will attend religious services after same is approved by primary nurse/designee. Place calls for clergy as requested by patient, family or primary nurse/designee.
- Acts as an intermediary in provision of patient care and patient/visitor comfort. Arranges for televisions and/or telephone at request of patient or family. Contacts barber/beautician as requested after same is approved by primary nurse/designee. Accepts and delivers mail, packages and flowers for patients.
- Participates in Quality Improvement activities as directed by NM/ANM.
- Enters admissions, transfers and discharges and census on 24 hour report.
- Prepares Store Room orders according to unit schedule.Receives supplies, checks that inventory received is correctly noted on requisition and puts away supplies. Requisitions extra linen as necessary.Requisitions emergency or special equipment from Central Supply as directed.Returns excess supplies to appropriate department when indicated.
- Arranges special procedures as per order of physician/designee and obtains x-ray films and/or necessary equipment from appropriate department to help prepare patient for same. Makes necessary appointments for patient examinations in other departments during hospitalization and in preparation for patient discharge as per order of physician/designee. Examples: Physical Therapy, Ambulatory Care.).
- Initiates and follows through on all transactions involving supplies needed for delivery of patient care. Orders supplies and equipment from Support Services as necessary.
- Keeps bulletin boards neat and up-to-date. Keeps Policy, Procedure and Standards Manual and other reference materials in order and current.
- Assists in direction and control of traffic on nursing unit.Monitors number of visitors in patient rooms and compliance with designated visiting hours. Notifies NM/ANM of presence of unauthorized person on nursing unit. Calls Loss Prevention Department as necessary.
- Assists patients and/or visitors in locating departments such as Medical Records, Patient Accounts, Cashier, Social Services, Clergy, etc.
- Contacts physicians, technicians and other members of health care delivery team via telephone, as required.
- Knows room location of all patients and nursing care assignments on nursing unit.
- Greets and directs all arrivals to unit (visitors, patients, staff, etc.).
- Promptly answers telephone and promptly screens and relays calls as necessary; takes and delivers messages. Calls Code 44 when directed.
- Acts as a receptionist politely and courteously communicates with others. Works at maintaining an efficient and safe nursing station.
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma or equivalent, or 2 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.