Paramedic Emergency Room Nights
Under the supervision and direction of the clinical team, the position will provide quality patient care to the Emergency Department patient, assist nursing staff and providers with high quality patient care needs.
Major Responsibilities & Essential Functions
• Participates with the licensed nurse in the development and modification of the patients plan of care, including the initial assessment, pain management.
• Assists the healthcare team in implementation of plan of care and documents in chart from admission to discharge. Clearly communicates with ER physician and licensed nurse assigned to patient.
• Demonstrates knowledge and skills to complete patient record, transcription, Meditech, ED Dashboard, and Security System activities. Uses Meditech software proficiently.
• Communicates effectively and professionally with internal and external customers. Maintains competence and effectiveness with EMS communications. Answer EMS radios and phones (Only physicians can give orders to EMS crews.)
• Anticipates needs of healthcare team to enhance patient flow. Insures appropriate test schedules and tracking of patient throughout the system.
• Contributes to the growth and development of self and department. Maintains an active involvement.
• Functions in an organized and timely manner.
• Receives patients from EMS personnel. Monitors patients for arrhythmias, mount EKG strips, and report findings to licensed nurse assigned to patient. Keeps patients informed as appropriate.
• Measures and records patients input and output.
• Stocks/checks ED supplies and equipment. Tags and reports broken equipment according to department policy.
• Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) projects.
• Cleans stretchers, closets, and cabinets as appropriate.
• Transports patients/assists in transport of patients to inpatient units (monitored and unmonitored).
• Utilizes appropriate PPE as indicated following hospital policy. Follows infection control standards.
• Member of trauma team
• Assists physicians with central line insertions, lumbar punctures, chest tube insertion, thoracentesis, arterial lines, and suturing.
All other duties as requested.