Patient Care Technician (PCT) - Resource Float Pool Staff (PRN) Nights
Opening in March 2009, Methodist Stone Oak Hospital continues to grow and build on our reputation as a hospital where high-tech and high-touch come together. Ours is a beautiful, streamlined, energy-efficient, patient-focused health care facility equipped with the most modern technology available and staffed by people who genuinely care for the well-being of others. Its our promise to you as part of Methodist Healthcares half-century mission of Serving Humanity to Honor God by providing exceptional and cost-effective health care accessible to all. The hospitals services include emergency care, general surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, oncology, neurosurgery and orthopedics. The hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. The hospital also received special recognition for Heart Care in 2013 by receiving the Womens Choice Award. Methodist Stone Oak Hospital received recognition in 2012 and 2013 as a Joint Commission Top Performer on Key Quality Measures®. The hospital belongs to the Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery and has become a leader in robotic surgeries with a highly experienced team of surgeons offering this minimally invasive option to patients.
General Statement of Duties:
The Patient Care Assistant performs a variety of delegated basic patient care services related to common nursing functions and activities of daily living under the supervision of the registered nurse (RN) in a complementary and assistive role. He/she assists the nursing staff in providing patient care in accordance to the PCAs training, competence and skill, hospital policies and procedures and the Texas Board of Nursing rules for delegated nursing tasks to unlicensed personnel (Rule 224.6). Consistently assists the patient care team with maintaining a clean, well organized, adequately stocked and safe patient environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Under the supervision of the RN, performs delegated patient care activities as directed and ordered in accordance with ones training. Delegated tasks may include:
- Obtaining vital signs, height and weight, intake and output, calorie counts, and/or simple non-sterile dressing changes
- Safe patient handling: Turning and positioning, use of specialty beds, patient transfer and use of transfer devices, ambulation assistance and use of assistive devices, restraint alternatives, oxygen use and transport, suction use, pre-operative skin preparation and/or use of sequential compression devices (SCD)
- Specimen collection, including blood collection for bedside glucose testin
- Consistently assists with maintaining a safe patient environment, including:
- Addressing identified hazards in the physical environment of the patient room to prevent patient falls.
- Hand hygiene and consistent use of standard precautions.
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate following transmission based precautions procedures.
- Communicates accurate information for delegated patient care activities performed, including observed patient response to performed activities to the assigned RN (following hand-off communication guidelines).
- Assists the RN in collecting data from patients upon admission and assists with patient transfer or discharge preparations as instructed.
- Assists patients with bathing, shaving, oral care, toileting, grooming, changing linens, providing water, assisting with meal delivery, and feeding.
- Performs hourly rounding, consistently uses AIDET when interacting with patients, and responds to call lights timely.