Registered Nurse (RN) - Emergency Room - Days
The Emergency Department consists of a 41 bed unit with an average of 90,000 patients per year. The patient population includes pediatrics, general medical, primary stroke, Level II trauma and Cardiac. SAMC has a very busy Level II trauma program, with the ER treating large numbers of acute MI and stroke patients as well. SAMC is a Malcom Baldridge facility of excellence Center providing exceptional care for every patient. Our conveyance area provides even faster service for our low acuity patient without the wait in the main emergency area.
Our staff consists of physicians, RN's, and technicians. All of our nursing and technical staff is currently certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support and many RN's are currently certified in pediatric care (PALS or ENPC). Many of our nurses have attained their CEN certification and CCRN certifications.
The Registered Nurse (RN) utilizes the nursing process to direct and deliver comprehensive nursing care to patients on an assigned unit in a safe and proficient manner according to individual patient needs. Provides direct patient care based upon South Austin Medical Center Hospital Standards of Care and Standards of Practice, Polices, Procedures and Practice Guidelines. Provides guidance and supervision to Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN), Nursing Technicians, Nursing Assistants and Unit Secretaries. He/she acts as patient and advocate with the Hospital environment. Assumes Charge Nurse responsibilities and accepts assignments on other units when necessary.
- Possess the comprehensive nursing skills to perform triage assessment that shall include rapid systematic collection of data related to the patient's chief complaint.
- Completes and thorough triage assessment is performed and documented using the Nursing process at the time of presentation, based on accepted Emergency Nursing standards, on patient condition and Hospital policy.
- Differentiates severity of patient problems and prioritizes care, designating an appropriate acuity level.
- Facilitates the flow of patients through the emergency care system ensuring timely evaluation according to the health care needs of the patients.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills in the care of all aspects of medical and traumatic emergencies.
- Considers principles of Emergency Nursing assessment while formulating appropriate nursing interventions for disease/trauma entity.