Nurse Educator - Surgical Services
The nurse clinician coordinates plans for the professional development of the nursing staff assigned to a specialty unit area and serve as a practitioner of specialized patient care. They coordinate the development and implementation of an educational program designed to convey specialized knowledge and skills to nursing personnel. The nurse clinician is responsible for new staff orientation and ongoing staff development within their assigned department utilizing adult leaning principles. The nurse clinician works in a defined patient care area to provide a climate optimal for the provision of individualized, goal directed nursing care that supports the mission, vision and values of Medical City Plano and the philosophy of the Department of Nursing. The nurse clinician possesses knowledge of the principles of growth and development and the particular skills necessary to provide optimum patient care to the population for which he or she is employed. The nurse clinician is accountable for their practice and care coordination. The clinician is expected to practice autonomously utilizing evidence based practices. The clinician is responsible for planning and providing individual goal directed nursing care that promotes, advocates for and supports the nursing staffs primary commitment to protect the health, safety and rights of the individual, family or community.
- Compliance with 5 Standards of Star Service; always delivering exceptional service to our patients, physicians, guests, coworkers, volunteers and vendors
- Maintains education and development appropriate for position.
- Performs position in line with Employee Satisfaction, Patient Satisfaction, Physician Satisfaction, Continuous Performance Improvement, and/or Community Involvement
- Adheres to established hospital and department guidelines and protocols. Supports hospital mission, vision, and values.
- Provides unit specific orientation for nursing and non-nursing staff
- Collaborates with the Nurse Manager and the Education department in the implementation and evaluation of nursing practice
- Coordinates and provides programs and learning opportunities for the clinical staff in the area assigned based upon evidence based practice and comprehensive needs assessments performed in collaboration with staff, organizational leaders, and peers to meet life long learning.
- Provides continuous competency assessment for staff at each level incorporating the Synergy Model and career enhancement model.
- Serves as a consultant or resource person for members of the health care team to advance and individualize nursing care.
- Assists Nursing staff and other disciplines in problem solving in clinical situations.
- Assures accurate records of educational events.
- Participates in development and evaluation of professional practice by participating on unit and/or hospital committees, special projects, and staff meetings.
- Facilitates unit and/or hospital performance improvement activities and nursing research.
- Incorporates teaching into all aspects of nursing practice.
- Practices autonomously, consistent with practice standards and evidenced based practice guidelines.
- Exercises independent judgment within the context of interdisciplinary care.
- Provides care/treatment/services within the context of interdisciplinary patient care.
- Maintains compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and standards of those planning, regulatory and accrediting agencies which affect nursing and the institution.
- Participates in health promotions and educational community involvement.
- Attends work as scheduled, on time, and prepared to perform job duties
- Completes comprehensive annual needs assessment
- Develops educational programs/inservices
- Implements process improvement activities
- Initiates research projects
- Designs orientation plans, unit based education plan and continuing education activities
- Documents patient care activities appropriately
- Delivers patient care and/or department service in a safe, competent, and efficient manner as determined by outcomes, quality monitors, and other internal and external processes.
- Maintains positive interpersonal relationships and conducts self to contribute positively to the delivery of quality care and services, and to orderly operation of the department and the facility.
- Maintains and enhances skills through consultation with interdisciplinary team members, participation in planning activities, and through attendance at in-service and continuing education programs. Completes mandatory education, including, but not limited to, infection control, patient safety, quality improvement, MSDS and OSHA standards (PPE, First Aid and Bloodborne Pathogens, Hazard Communications, Emergency Procedures and Job Safety).
- Follows established guidelines for compliance with Infection Prevention and TJC Patient Safety Goals and Practices.
- Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
- Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated adverse events in the patients care which results in patient harm.
- Participates in Performance Improvement and nursing research activities to improve patient safety and patient outcomes.
Medical City Plano
is a full-service, 493-bed acute-care facility with more than 1,300 employees and over 1000 physicians on staff, representing over 70 specialties and subspecialties. Our campus in the heart of Plano includes the main hospital and medical offices, an outpatient surgery center, a comprehensive cancer-treatment center, an Emergency and Level 1 trauma center, a radiology/imaging center, a comprehensive cardiovascular program, the Center for Lifestyle Enhancement, The Bariatric Institute, Wound Care Center and complete women's and children's services including a high-risk antepartum unit and a Level 3 neonatal intensive-care unit. Our brand new 20,000-square-foot Burn and Reconstructive Center of Texas includes two operating rooms, a burn intensive care unit, beds for inpatient care and an outpatient burn clinic.