LPN, Mental Health, Perry Point, MD
At least two positions exists for full-time LPN for the Psychosocial Residential Rehabilitation Program (24H) at the Perry Point Medical Center, part of the VA Maryland Health Care System (VAMHCS). This position will support the recovery of veterans in the psychosocial program The incumbent will provide therapeutic, supportive, and educational services to assist the veterans in developing and maintaining a safe and healthy lifestyle. The incumbent's primary assignment will be at the Perry Point site, but travel throughout the VAMHCS may be required. Tour Of duty and days off are on rotating basis. The LPN will administer medications, provide support and education to veterans that are on independent medications, lead or co-lead groups on the unit and assist nursing staff to meet all safety requirements as outlined in the MH RRTP handbook. All other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Alternating tours of duty, including alternating weekends and holidays.
Telework: This position is not authorized for telework.
Functional Statement Title/#:Licensed Practical Nurse (Mental Health)/000000Basic Requirements:
*English Language Proficiency. Must be proficient in both spoken and written English.
*Education. Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National league for Nursing at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for full LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment.
*Licensure. Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth of the U.S., or in D.C.
* Physical Requirements - Scope of the Examination: The examination will be concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and will include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies
Experience. Fully meet all of the performance requirements for the GS-5 or completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-5 or equivalent. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the professional KSA's below
* The LPN is technically proficient in initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations.
* Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record patient information. Completed work should need only a general review by a RN or M.D. for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures.
* Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, recognizes and consider emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors.
* Prepare and administer prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures. Observe for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting changes, and reporting any deviations from normal to RN or MD.
* Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD, and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed.
* Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff.
* Establishes constructive relationships with patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, promoting positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Foster an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery. Effectively incorporate knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers.
* Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedure. Serve as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPNs or NAs/HTs related to support duties for these more complex, specialized tests/procedures.
* Actively seek educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
* Responsible and accountable for scheduling functions (making, changing, and canceling patient appointments) in accordance with clinic profiles, special instructions, and applicable VHA regulations.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G13. This can be found in the localHR Office.
Physical Requirements: It is VA policy to ensure that all selected applicants and employed personnel are physically, mentally and emotionally fit to perform the duties of the position to which assigned. A pre-placement physical examination is required for all full-time, part-time and intermittent employees identified by VA Directive and Handbook 5019. The pre-placement physical examination shall be completed prior to appointment to determine the physical and mental fitness for candidates for appointment in VA. The examination will be concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and will include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
*Other(VA Form 10-2850c, Application for Associated Health Occupations, License Registration or Certification)
*Other Veterans Document
1. VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf) (Highly desired).
2. CV or Resume including: Name and address of Employer's; Month/Year to Month/Year Worked; Number of Hours Worked Per Week; A Detailed Description of your Duties Performed; Supervisor name and phone number. Current active Licensure, Certification, or Registration number with State, and expiration date (Required) .****Failure to include all the above information in your CV or Resume will result in an ineligible rating of IRSI.****
3. Occupational Questionnaire (Required)
4. Proof of one year above high school with courses related to the Nursing Assistant occupation, or proof of completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a nursing assistant. (Required).
5. OF-306 - Declaration of Federal Employment (Highly desired)-http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
6. If prior military service, include all copies of your DD 214 Forms or proof of service (Required). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference - http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf
7. If currently employed in the VA system, include latest SF-50 -Notification of Personnel Action (Required).
8. Unofficial transcripts(s)-official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired; if applicable, supporting documentation from college or university, will also be necessary to prove to the hiring agency that the required educational requirements (conferral) will be met in the near future.
9. Proof of current, unrestricted Certification, Licensure or Registration (Highly desired).
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2010849.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.