RN - Spinal Cord Injury Unit
There arevacancies on the Spinal Cord Injury Unit for staff nurses. The Tour of duty is Day/Evening/Nights with rotating weekends and holidays, based on patient care needs. The following is a list of skills and characteristics which are essential attributes for this assignment:
a) All Registered Nurses are eligible to apply.
b) Graduation is required from a school accredited by Accreditation Commission for Education (ACEN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
c) Previous nursing experience is preferred. New graduates considered.
d) Must be self-directed, with a strong charge nurse background. Must be able to function effectively as a team member in a fast-paced clinical area.
e) Effective communication skills and tact in dealing with patients, families, and staff.
f) Must have physical capabilities to initiate crisis intervention measures and the ability and knowledge to perform in nursing care emergencies.
Work Schedule: Day/Evening/Night shift with weekend and holiday rotation.
Duty Location: Dallas, Texas; Spinal Cord Injury Unit (SCI)
Recruitment/Relocation incentive is not authorized for this position.
***Please go to the "Required Documents" section of the announcement to ensure you have submitted all required/applicable documentation***
1. Citizen of the United States.
2. Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
3. Current, full, active, and unrestricted license as a nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
4. Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
NOTE: Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows: Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization, Professional Development: performance, education/career development, Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality, Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research. Education/Experience Requirements:
* Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
* Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
* Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience; or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
* Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience; or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years' experience; or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years' experience; or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
* Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years' experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years' experience.
Preferred Experience: Baccalaureate degree in nursing and a minimum of three years professional (RN) nursing experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-6 NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD
Registered Nurse Physical Requirements:?, Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Pushing and pulling (up to 4 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Kneeling (up to 5 hours); Repeated bending (up to 2 hours); Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted) and Emotional and Mental Stability.
***You must provide a complete application package which includes***
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetist (Available at www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf)(required).
3. Occupational Questionnaire (only required if unable to apply on line)
4. Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf). This is a required form and must be submitted with your application.
5. Copy of your nursing license which shows current expiration date (required).
6. If a current Federal employee, submit most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, that shows current position held, grade, series, and tenure (Please do not submit an award SF50 as it does not show the needed information).
7. If claiming veteran's preference you must include the following documents:
a. All copies of your DD Forms 214, member 2 or 4 copy that shows your character of discharge
(required if claiming).
b. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, should also complete and submit a signed SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) required if claiming.
c. A copy of your disability rating letter (required if claiming).
***Current VANTHCS employees must submit the following documents***
1. Resume (required)
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetist (Available at www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf) (required if you are not currently employed as an RN at the North Texas VA Medical Center).
3. Copy of unofficial college transcripts (required)
4. Copy of nursing license showing current expiration date (required)
5. Submit most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, that shows current position held, grade, series, and tenure (Please do not submit an award SF50 as it does not show the needed information).
6. Any other supporting documentation if desired
7. Occupational Questionnaire (only required if unable to apply on line)
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2010734.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.