RN IV - Chief Nurse Hospital Care Services
The following represents many, but not all, of the duties of this position:
* Assist nurse managers and advanced practitioners to carry out the functions and activities expected of them.
* Contribute ideas and recommendations for the establishment of standards of care, policies, and objectives for the enhancement of nursing organization-wide.
* Assist in policy-making activities as related to customer service and the overall functioning of administrative and clinical programs for the Hospital Care Services and for Nursing Service overall.
* Collaborate with other health care staff to establish and maintain programs that cross service and/or discipline lines and influence organizational mission and health care.
* Aggregates data and participates in the budget process to plan for current, emerging, and future resource requirements for the Hospital Care Services.
* Provides leadership in determining allocation of resources (financial, human, material and / or informational) based on patient care systems that produce high quality outcomes for the Hospital Care Services.
* Actively supports and role models Patient-Family Centered Care Concepts in the Hospital Care Services.
Work Schedule: Monday thru Friday 0730-1600 with flexibility. Hours may be extended as the incumbent has 24/7 authority and accountability for the nursing practice of the service line.
Functional Statement Title/#: 662-00000
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates:
- Nurse IV - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 4-5 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and appropriate basic or advanced certification desired, and approximately 3-4 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
- PhD in Nursing or related Doctorate degree
- Experience with managing complex programs
- Experience in nursing management/leadership
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The environment's pace can vary from steady to a sometimes fast pace requiring the handling of multiple priorities, frequent sometimes intense customer interactions and the ability to adapt to frequent changes in a sometimes noisy environment. There may be the need to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to disease, illness and hazardous materials.
- VA Form 10-2850a - application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (required). Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
- List of professional references
- Transcripts that support the conference of a Masters degree. If transcripts are from a non-nursing program, also provide transcripts from Baccalaureate program.
- If you are a foreign BSN graduate with a Masters degree in a related field, please provide us with your ICD or CES education verification certificate.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2011069.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.