*RN Resident (Registered Nurse) - Medical/Surgical/Telemetry (January Cohort)
4 Central is a 36 bed Medical/Surgical Telemetry unit. This unit also houses the post cardiac cath patients. The patient population consists of adults and geriatric patients with a wide variety of diagnoses. This unit provides care to telemetry patients.
The unit provides a system of self-scheduling that enables opportunity for staff to choose their working days.
The Registered Nurse (RN) utilizes the nursing process to direct and deliver comprehensive nursing care to patients on an assigned unit in a safe and proficient manner according to individual patient needs. Provides direct patient care based upon South Austin Medical Center Hospital Standards of Care and Standards of Practice, Polices, Procedures and Practice Guidelines. Provides guidance and supervision to Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN), Nursing Technicians, Nursing Assistants and Unit Secretaries. He/she acts as patient and advocate with the Hospital environment. Assumes Charge Nurse responsibilities and accepts assignments on other units when necessary.
- Considers age related factors in the assessment, care, and treatment of pediatric patients.
- Considers principles of death and dying when caring for terminally ill oncology patients.
- Provides emotional, spiritual, religious and cultural support to patients and their significant others
- Applies principles of orthopedic nursing. He/she is familiar with various types of tractions, casts, splints and with various orthopedic surgeries.
- Applies principles of urological nursing when caring for that type of patient.
- He/she is familiar with various urological catheters and various urological surgical procedures.
- Knows how to take care and maintain central venous access catheters.
- Demonstrate understanding of HCA's and "Patients First " safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.