Nurse Practitioner (Mental Health) @ Effingham, IL
The Marion VA Medical Centeris recruiting for a full-time Nurse Practitioner (NP), certified in Mental Health, to join our Behavioral Medicine Service team. This position is located at theCommunity Based Outpatient Clinic in Effingham, IL. Theemployee will function as an integral member of Behavioral Medicine Service and have both clinical and administrative duties. The incumbent will provide care within a defined scope of practice and will work with a collaborating/supervising psychiatrist and mayprovide tele-medicine services to other locations. Other duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Performing initial screenings for clinical assessment and evaluation, order and interpret lab and other diagnostic tests.
- Conduct patient follow-up as appropriate, and provide patient, family, and staff education and counseling.
- Coordinate/arrange for consultations and other needed services, and serve as a liaison to other services including general medicine, when necessary.
- Employeemust be able to work responsibly with physicians and other members of a multidisciplinary team, and to relate effectively with patients.
- Administrative activities include performance improvement activities, committee and task force assignments, administrative research, and non-clinical tasks as assigned.
- The candidate should be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Incumbent meets the needs of customers while supporting VA mission.
- Communicate and treat customers in a courteous, tactful and respectful manner. Provide the customer with consistent information according to established policies and procedures.
- Handle conflict and problems in dealing with the customer constructively and appropriately.
- Provide and/or support patient care that is appropriate to the cognitive, physical, emotional, and chronological maturation needs of the young adult (18-44 years old), middle adult (45-64 years old), and older adult (65 years and older) patients.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care/support appropriate to the age of the patients served.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of the changes associated with aging and possess the ability to provide care/support based upon age related factors.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm.Extended hours as needed.
Functional Statement Title/#: Nurse Practitioner (Mental Health)
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience.
Preferred Experience: Certification in Mental HealthExperience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: Requires lifting 45 pounds and over; pushing (approx. 2 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers and both hands; walking and standing from 3-5 hours and repeated bending (approx. 2 hours). Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4. Far visions correctable in one eye to 20/50 and to 20/100 in the other. Must have depth perception and ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors. Hearing aid is permitted.
Please Note: This position requires Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certifications. If selected, Applicant will provide proof of current certifications prior to employment. Only BLS certification which included Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and ACLS certification obtained from either the American Heart Association (AHA) or the Military Training Network (MTN) will be accepted.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other(VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists)
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (recommended) Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2007478.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.