Staff Nurse (Registered Nurse)
Recruitment is open forfull-time Registered Nurses. The individual selected for this position will be accountable to the Nurse Manager of that unit. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Delivers safe, basic care to assigned patients
- Completes admission assessment
- Develops initial nursing care plan
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information
- Provides safe care and conserves resources
- Adheres to safety and health standards, regulations and work practices
- Communicates plan of care to patients and communicates patient progress to other providers
- Reports work related illness/injuries
- Completes all mandatory annual reviews
- Communicate effectively with coworkers
- Identifies unit QI measures and results
- Identifies interventions that are ineffective and not research based
Work Schedule: Day and Night
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse 000000
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
- BSN preferred
- One year successful nursing practice preferred.
- Ability to physically and mentally perform the functions of the position.
- Demonstrated ability in leadership, judgment, decision-making, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong, positive interpersonal/customer service skills.
- Demonstrated integrity, dependability and ability to function independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a self-directed, productive team member and adapt readily to varying patient care needs and fluctuation in workload.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with other members of the multidisciplinary health care team to accomplish the medical center's mission, vision and goals.
- Demonstrated ability to use hospital computer programs.
- Ability to work flexible hours as required.
Physical Requirements: Position requires moderate to heavy lifting and carrying, pushing, walking and standing for extended periods, ability for simultaneous rapid and mental and muscular coordination, near vision correctable at 13" to 16" Jaeger 1 to 4 (one eye, glasses permitted), ability to distinguish basic colors, emotional and mental stability; hearing aid permitted. Incumbents may experience exposure to blood and body fluids.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
NOTE: Proof of licensure is required in order to be considered for this position.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1942225.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.