REGISTERED NURSE - Simulation Instructor
The Simulation Learning, Education and Research Network (SimLEARN) program was established in July 2009 by the Veterans Affairs (VA) Under Secretary for Health. In 2016 the VHA National Leadership Council (NLC) approved the development and implementation of a National Simulation Network including five (5) Mobile Simulation Training teams (MSTT).
The MSTT will focus on train-the-provider clinical simulation activities using the full range of simulation modalities; curriculum acquisition and development; creation of policies and procedures related to the use of clinical simulation; development of virtual patient, standardized patient, and mannequin-based scenarios; and conducting research in program effectiveness and emerging simulation technologies. The MSTT will also serve as a resource for individual VA healthcare facilities needs in clinical simulation based education. The MSTT will report directly to the Team Manager, Mobile Simulation Team.
Major Duties Include:
* Required to travel 50 percent or more of scheduled work time, including for full work weeks.
* Supporting simulation systems review for departmental/small scale activations and resuscitation simulation systems testing. executing responsibilities that demonstrate leadership, experience, and creative approaches to management of complex patient care as it relates to clinical simulation education and training.
* Demonstrating performance and leadership to improve the care for Veterans by leading learners.
* Providing advice as appropriate and assistance in the implementation of clinical simulation curricula.
* Coordinating educational program/project activities such as meetings, conferences, information gathering for various aspects of the program/project as appropriate and relates to courses.
* Planning, promoting and developing educational design strategies for clinical simulation programs, and conducting clinical simulation training and education in support of SimLEARN curricula.
* Leading and organizing delivery of large health care system training and education (especially clinical simulation training) to ensure system wide adherence to established protocols, including system wide documentation of training.
* Using advanced clinical knowledge/judgment to promote staff involvement in planning, decision-making, and evaluating outcomes of training.
* Functioning as an expert in clinical practice and/or areas related to the assigned roles and responsibilities.
* Systematically evaluating current practice, and assisting SimLEARN staff with formulating plans for the evaluation of outcomes for groups of learners, (patients as needed) and/or health care systems within the scope of the SimLEARN program.
* Using professional standards of care, scientific evidence, and practice to evaluate programs and/or service activities.
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Compressed/flexible schedule may be available. Telework may be available.
1) US Citizenship
2) Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant.The National League for NursingAccrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
3) Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
The criteria are as follows:
Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization
Professional Development: performance, education/career development
Collaboration: collaboration, collegiality
Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research
The following qualifications are highly preferred:
Master's degree or higher in nursing or related field is preferred.
Five or more years of experience in clinical practice, leadership, adult education, public speaking, and program development. Two of more years of experience in conducting clinical simulation training is highly desirable.
Recent VA clinical experience is highly desirable, but not required.
Applicants MUST possess a valid and unrestricted driver's license with the ability to drive an automobile and/or 12 passenger van. Incumbent will be required to drive to various VA medical centers, outpatient clinics and other venues where training takes place to provide training to VHA employees.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be physically able to lift up to 20 pounds, maneuver stretchers, and possess manual dexterity to operate clinical simulation equipment.
****Must be able to travel 50 percent or more of scheduled work time, including for full work weeks.
DESIGNATED DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Completed Online Questionnaire
- CV or Resume
- Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
- Unofficial transcript(s) - official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired.
Veterans must submit appropriate documentation as described previously in this vacancy announcement.
If currently employed in the VA system, include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2009185. NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.