Registered Nurse (Primary Care) Anchorage
The Registered Nurse at the Alaska VA Healthcare System will work in the Primary Care Service Department. The clinic provides outpatient care to patients who present with urgent/chronic medical conditions, change in mental status and/or functional decline. The RN is able to manage and deliver care to complex patient situations. Based on education and experience, may be assigned responsibilities as preceptor, charge nurse, triage/telephone triage nurse; may be a care manager for a defined group of patients under the guidance of the Associate Chief of Nursing of Primary Care. May also function independently in a clinical education, quality management or research role. Per CDC regulations, the RN in PCC will be rated for exposure to blood borne pathogens as a moderate risk. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Applies the nursing process to systems or processes at the unit/team/work group level to improve care.
- Demonstrates leadership by involving others in improving care.
- Initiates/participates in quality improvement activities that result in improved outcomes.
- Evaluates practice of self and others using professional standards, relevant statutes, and regulations; takes action to improve performance.
- Acquires knowledge and skills to maintain expertise in area of practice.
- Participates in educational activities to improve clinical knowledge and enhance role performance.
- Educates colleagues and/or students and serves as a preceptor and/or mentor.
- Supports and enhances client self-determination.
- Serves as a resource for clients and staff in addressing ethical issues.
- Uses group process to identify, analyze, and resolve care problems.
- Uses a body of research to validate and/or change work group practice.
Work Schedule: 5 days per week, not to exceed 8 hours per day between the hours of 6 am to 6 pm.
Position Description Title/PD#:Nurse II, Unit: Primary Care Clinic000000BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
* Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
* Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
* Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
* Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
* Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.GRADE DETERMINATIONS:
Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
Physical Requirements: May require occasional heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); moderate carrying (15-44 lbs.); standing, walking, and kneeling; pushing/pulling; the use of fingers on both hands; ability to reach above shoulders; repeated bending; climbing using legs and arms; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable to 13" to 16" so Jaeger 1/to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; depth perception; ability to distinguish basic color and shades of colors; and hearing (hearing aid permitted).
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency. For more information, see http://www.sss.gov/
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS will receive a rating of IDMA (ineligible due to missing/incomplete forms). Requests for reconsideration of ratings will not be considered for applicants who fail to submit a complete application package.
1. (Required for all applicants) Current/Updated Resume.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps; AmeriCorps) and other organization (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
2. (Required for all applicants) OF-306 - Declaration for Federal Employment is available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
3. (Required for all applicants) VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists is available at the following website -http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf
PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY FOR THE FOLLOWING MUST BE INCLUDED (ONLY IF APPLICABLE):
4. All current and former civilian Federal employees must submit a copy of your latest NON-AWARD SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e. Excepted or Competitive).
5. All Veterans must submit a copy of your DD-214. Your copies must be legible and must show character of service and all dates of service; more than one DD-214 may be needed to show all dates of service.
6. Disabled veterans and other veterans eligible for preference must also submit an SF-15 with the required VA letter certifying a service connected disability of 10% or more dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs or from a branch of the Armed Forces. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
**It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that all information in their resume and documents, whether uploaded or faxed, are received, legible, and accurate. HR will not modify answers/documents submitted by an applicant. **
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdfand provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 2009754.
- Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.