NURSE PRACTITIONER-BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
The position is located in theAllentown Outpatient Clinic,Allentown, PA in the Behavioral Health Services in the MentalHealth Clinic forNursing Servicefor the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center,.
Incumbent must be licensed or otherwise recognized as a nurse practitioner in a State, possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE, and maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association.
This certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed. For this position you must be certified inBehavioral Health, Nurse Practitioner.
Responsibilities will include services such as:
Performs an ongoing risk assessment (e.g., suicide, homicide, abuse, violence)
Prescribes pharmacologic treatment for psychiatric symptoms
Monitors pharmacologic treatment for psychiatric symptoms
Formulates a comprehensive current medication list, including complementary and alternative medications
Plan psychopharmacologic strategies based on individualized needs with consideration to potential barriers and or facilitators to adherence and potential side effects and or medication interactions
Performs an initial age-appropriate comprehensive psychiatric evaluation that includes evaluation ofmental status, risk for violence to self/others, substance use, level of functioning, health behaviors, trauma, sexual behaviors, and social and developmental history
Treat acute psychiatric disorders and mental health problems
Treat chronic psychiatric disorders and mental health problems
Orders and interprets findings relevant age-appropriate diagnostic, screening, and laboratory tests
Arrange for follow up to evaluate patient response to treatment
Assess patients willingness to adhere to prescribed regimens
Documents patient responses to treatment strategies
Assess patients current level of capacity to make decision for self
Differentiate presenting symptoms between psychiatric and other disorders
Assess the appropriate level of care
Process informed consent and treatments
Performs a problem-focused psychiatric evaluation
Plan with patient and or family for least restrictive care to optimize safety
Serve as a patient advocate
Revise treatment strategies using ongoing assessment data
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Functional Statement Title/#: Nurse Practitioner Behavioral Health
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Education/Experience Requirements: Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education
Preferred Experience: Masters degree in Nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 4-5 years experience or Doctoral degree in Nursing or related field and approximately 3-4 years experience.
Advanced certification in Behavioral Healthas Nurse Practitioner is required.
Grade Determinations: Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: The nurse practitioner should be physically and mentally capable to perform the duties of the position. Physical activities include sitting, standing, walking (up to 2 hours), heavy lifting (45 pounds or over), reaching above the shoulder, and repeated bending.
DESIGNATED DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Completed Online Questionnaire
- CV or Resume
- VA Form 10- 2850a - Application For Nurses And Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&amp;amp;amp;tkey=&amp;amp;amp;Action=Search
- Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
- Unofficial transcript(s) - official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired.
Veterans must submit appropriate documentation as described previously in this vacancy announcement.
If currently employed in the VA system, include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2008338. NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.