||NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn is a full-service teaching hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The medical center is central to a comprehensive network of affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU Langone Medical Center's anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery in the entire borough. Learn more about NYU Lutheran Medical Center .
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Coordinator-OR.
In this role, the successful candidate Within the organizational structure of the Service, the Clinical Coordinator is responsible for the optimal performance of her/his assigned areas. She/he shall direct, plan, organize and control the daily work of the nursing and leadership staff in her/his areas. She/he shall delegate administrative responsibilities to the staff in accordance with their competencies. She/he shall continually evaluate the performance of her/his units and implement improvements as necessary, in order to assure the standards for integrated care to the surgical patients
- Demonstrates Knowledge and Skills in different specialties. Handles problems with appropriate action. Establishes specific flexible goals both short and long term, and the means to achieve them. Initiates, investigates, and participates in studies and surveys. Encourages staff to do likewise. Participates in programs to expand knowledge in own specialty and leadership skills. Maintains liaison and coordinates teaching programs, at the appropriate level.
- Establishes and Implements Standards of Integrated Care. Is able to evaluate, guide, counsel and instruct staff members in all aspects of the specialties, and Standards of Care. Utilizes audit results, continuous performance reports, referrals, etc., effectively to analyze and upgrade the quality of integrated care. Evaluates Outcome Standards on integrated care plans and then develops and analyzes the Standards of Care that are appropriate. Ensures staff assesses the size, height and weight of patients for effects on equipment, environmental controls and room assignment. Ensures staff assessment for patients with special needs, e.g. extremes of age, disabled, blind, deaf, impaired, pregnant and lactating mothers. Ensures staff assesses patients for pain management using verbal and non-verbal observations.
- BUDGET FORECAST, ANALYZE AND CONTROL: Has the knowledge of and can interpret the principles of budgeting. Projects the needs for personnel and material to ensure effective planning within her services. Ensures the importance of budget limitations; regulates resources within budgetary restrictions. Recommends the need for equipment replacement and/or for new acquisitions. Participates with peers and senior O.R. Leadership staff for maximum utilization of operating budget. Effectively guides staff in cost-containment procedures.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS - Has the ability to transmit and receive ideas and effectively interact at all levels. Demonstrates clarity, conciseness and appropriateness in written and verbal communications. Demonstrates an ability to listen, encourage feedback and utilize constructive criticism. Establishes an effective liaison both intra- and interdepartmentally, and maintains effective channels of communication. Demonstrates objective and responsive qualities in communications; e.g. problem solving. Recognizes the importance of sound public relations and will take a resolute stand, when necessary. Is aware of the environment and establishes effective inter- and intradepartmental relations. Acts as a resource or consultant within area of expertise.
- Establishes priorities consistent with goals and objectives of the service. Recommends long and short-term plans for continuous performance and improvement of care and services. Delegates authority and responsibility which are consistent with the scope of the position. Monitors, coordinates, plans and implements programs and services. Recommends and establishes appropriate staffing and scheduling patterns based on the competency of staff. Recommends acceptable standards and evaluates program effectiveness. Utilizes time efficiently and effectively.
- Periodically reviews employees performance and makes recommendations based on their competency level. Provides clear direction of the individual responsibility, duties and expectations. Recommends appropriate orientation program. Initiates periodic competency evaluation based on staff input and gives leadership feedback on performance. Establishes regular meeting times with staff to discuss mutual and individual interests and service needs. Based on assessment of performance and service needs, recommends staff for increased responsibility, promotion or termination. Upgrades group performance through critical evaluation and documentation and elimination of staff who do not meet performance standards.
- Participates in designated activities related to professional nursing standards and regulations of relevant outside agencies. Participates in updating, development and implementation of patient care and nursing care standards. Reviews standards manual sharing relevant materials with team. Demonstrates knowledge of JCAHO, DOH, and standards pertinent to service. Assist in monitoring unit compliance with outside agency regulations and standards.
- Demonstrates teaching ability and skills. Participates in the functional organization which allows for mutual exchange of ideas, knowledge and problems by creating the climate and ambiance for learning. Recognizes and identifies need for additional competencies and recommends staff programs to meet these needed competencies, e.g. inservice training.
- Demonstrates teaching ability and skills. Encourages staff continuing education and professional growth. Encourages staff to participate in professional organizations, and to seek professional growth opportunities.
- Participates in unit based quality and performance improvement program consistent with service and departmental program. Identifies unit and departmental performance improvement projects. Participates in unit based data collection for performance improvement. Monitors use of automated supply/narcotic system, pain management, turnover times, delays as per related process standards for a group of patients experiencing both major and minor procedures in 3 services. Suggests approaches and actions to improve performance based on data collection. Utilizes NDNQ and/or QP & I data to influence others in improving nurse sensitive patient care outcomes. Serves as a role model for change and implementation of performance improvement projects. Participates in monitoring unit compliance with JCAHO, DOH and other regulatory agency standards.
- Maintains awareness of current research applicable to patient care. Refers to current research findings when discussing care with colleagues. Initiates clinical presentation that is well researched and has a foundation that is evidence based. Proposes evidence based changes. Incorporates research-based practices into plan of care and nursing interventions. Complies with and assists others to comply with newly published nursing standards of care.
- Participates in clinical inquiry and activities to foster evidence-based practice. Utilizes findings from current nursing literature to initiate evidence based practices on clinical unit. Assists in the evaluation of outcomes related to practice changes. Completes CQI report when variances from plan are identified. Initiates and participates in Root cause analysis process for individual/group of patients/service. Participates in unit/service specific data collection for quality improvement and for nursing research projects as available. Applies clinical research findings to patient care activities through implementation and update/initiation of patient care standards.
- Participates in quality improvement programs and activities that promote patient/family, physician and staff satisfaction. Identifies factors that contribute to patient/family, physician and staff satisfaction. Uses feedback from patient and nurse satisfaction surveys to improve the delivery of patient care. Participates in programs/activities to promote satisfaction of staff, patients, families and other disciplines.
To qualify you must have a Graduate of an accredited Nursing Program. Current New York State licensure. BS degree in nursing. 3-5 years progressive leadership experience in a large acute care facility. The clinical Coordinator must possess a comprehensive knowledge of the functions of Operating Room Services. It requires clinical knowledge of the responsible assigned services. She/he should have completed a rotation through her specialty areas and demonstrate a working knowledge of same. The Clinical Coordinator must demonstrate the ability to teach concepts of the basic sciences, interpersonal relationships and team nursing. She/he must possess leadership and organizational qualities, an understanding of leadership principles, group dynamics and skill analysis. She/he must be able to work effectively under short periods of physical and mental stress and have no major physical limitation.
Required Licenses: Registered Nurse License-NYS
Member of the AORN and CNOR preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Lutheran Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here . Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here .