||NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute–designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history.
For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Director of Nursing.
In this role, the successful candidate Leads and manages a clinical nursing service in the planning, implementation and evaluation of quality, safe and efficient nursing care; develops, facilitates and supports implementation of nursing and interdisciplinary care standards throughout the service(s); fosters and demonstrates collaborative relationships with other disciplines; develops and sustains collaborative practice with physician specialty groups and other practitioners pertinent to the service line team; manages the nursing service's financial planning, implementation and monitoring of operational and capital budgets; coordinates service-specific quality and improvement projects
- Role models service standards in actions and communications with patients, families, staff and other disciplines.Functions as a respectful leader of the health care team.
- Participates in hospital committees and projects, including medical board committees, and hospital-wide implementation programs. .Coordinates and facilitates activities to promote service and interdisciplinary teamwork.
- Works collaboratively, demonstrating partnerships with physician leadership and service line administrative staff to develop and maintain clinical practice standards of care and operational programs. Establishes collaborative relationships with nursing staff, leadership, medical staff, and other administrative staff and throughout the medical center.
- Participates in the design of new clinical facilities and renovations of existing facilities to represent a patient care and nursing perspective.Hires, develops and evaluates nursing leadership from orientation through termination, if necessary, according to established standards.
- Establishes leadership accountability while providing support and guidance for role advancement and professional development of formal and aspiring leadership.Coordinates activities pertaining to patient care based on the hospitals and the Departments' of Nursing philosophy and mission.
- Contributes to recruitment and retention through advocacy with other departments on behalf of nursing to optimize systems that contribute to patient care delivery.Initiates and sustains structure standards for the department, service line, service, and unit level.
- Develops capital budget submissions within the clinical service in conjunction with the services Logistics Manager; and participates in the Departments-wide capital budget submissions with the Vice President of Nursing Operations or other pertinent Vice President of Hospital Operations.
- Facilitates use of the Labor Productivity Tool, discharge and/or volume targets, and Patient Profiling to assist Nurse Mangers to plan and to validate staffing patterns.
- Participates in establishing the service lines financial plan and utilizes data provided by the organizations performance scorecard to make strategic recommendations to senior leadership.Establishes the operating budget for the clinical department (salary and non-salary where applicable), in conjunction with the Nurse Managers; monitors expenses as balanced with patient volume and other indicators; and evaluates outcomes, making modifications and adjustments as indicated.
- Demonstrates visibility, accessibility and effective communication that convey a strong sense of advocacy and support for staff and leadership.
- Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice and nursing leadership programs. Researches trends and issues pertinent to the clinical services and the service lines quality and performance improvement
- Participates in developing and implementing interdisciplinary outcome standards.Participates in and/or leads interdisciplinary quality and performance improvement projects pertinent to service line goals and objectives.
- Stimulates and initiates clinical studies and research projects pertinent to the patient population served and participates in interdisciplinary research programs.
- Designs, implements and evaluates programs and activities to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies as pertains to nursing and /or patient care services.Facilitates development and initiation of clinical protocols and research initiatives.
- Participates in and fosters staff involvement in evidence based practice and other nursing research activities.
- Plans, implements, and annually evaluates service and unit-based quality and performance improvement programs consistent with the departmental and hospital plan.Establishes processes to create, evaluate and improve or sustain an environment that promotes patient/family, physician and staff satisfaction.
- Coordinates and facilitates interdisciplinary patient and family educational programs and activities using a variety of media, to promote quality patient care.Supports academic affiliations for purposes of providing clinically rich experiences for students of nursing, and enrichment of nursing staff.
- Works collaboratively with clinical and educational resources and experts to plan and implement educational offerings for staff and leadership.
- Maintains clinical and leadership competency by participation in continuing education, professional organizations and other related activities.Evaluates own performance based on professional practice standards, and criteria established by accrediting/Regulatory agencies.
- Serves as resource to staff and leadership for development of nursing standards that are consistent with the established model.
- Facilitates an environment of learning that supports patient safety, and all levels of nursing practice and personnel.Fosters opportunities for staff and leadership participation in activities and educational programs that promote learning and professional development.
- Establishes and maintains processes to ensure competency and appropriate utilization of staff.
- Provides resources and collaborates to design and implement processes that facilitate age- appropriate, culturally sensitive, and ethical care for patients.
- Leads efforts to develop and implement evidence-based clinical practice.
- Initiates and sustains development of service-level nursing and interdisciplinary process standards.
- Demonstrates understanding of the value of professional nursing, the conceptual framework in which it is practiced, and the features of an organization that attracts and retains nurses.
- Demonstrates and enhances others understanding of nursing and patient care standards as integral and supportive of professional practice, participatory management, and values espoused by the Departments of Nursing, the hospital, and the medical center.
- Develops, maintains and evaluates systems that support nursing process and the delivery of safe and effective patient care.
- Articulates an understanding of nursing process, interdisciplinary collaboration, customer service, patient/family education, and continuum of care concepts, particularly as they apply to the population served.
To qualify you must have a current Registered Professional Nursing license in the State of New York and a Master's degree in related field along with at least five years of clinical experience in pertinent area of practice and a minimum of five years of progressive leadership experience. Excellent skills in the following areas: verbal and written communication, critical thinking, creativity, interpersonal relationships and team building, change management, evidence based practice, strategies to support professional nursing practice; interdisciplinary patient/family education strategies and processes, and current issues and trends in service-specific nursing and health care in general; understanding and commitment to sustain a Magnet culture; supports an environment of learning; ability to communicate vision and goals throughout the organization.
Required Licenses: Registered Nurse License-NYS
Certification in Nursing Administration, Administration Advanced, and or/relevant clinical specialty preferred;Participation in pertinent professional organizations, such as the American Organization of Nurse Executives and respective state and regional chapters; and specialty nursing organizations.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military or veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster. To view the EEO supplement, please visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.