Nursing Assistant (3N - Surgical) - External
This position serves as a Nursing Assistant in Nursing Service. The position is located at the West Roxbury campus of the VA Boston Healthcare System on 3N, a Surgical Telemetry Floor. The incumbent performs duties related to the direct functions related to the treatment of patients on the wards/specialty care areas and assisting with activities of daily living (ADLs), preventing falls and maintaining safe environment for patients.
Work Schedule: Full-Time Evening Shift with rotation to weekends and holidays.
Functional Statement #: 908560
- This position is an NAGE Bargaining Unit position.
- This position is covered by locality-based comparability pay.
- Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized.
- Selectee may be required to work at any Boston Healthcare System campus, as needed.
- Candidates who meet the qualification requirements within 15 calendar days following the closing date of the announcement will be considered.
- The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-05. Permanent appointments are subject to the recommendation of a professional standards board and approval by the Medical Center Director. Grade and salary will be recommended by the board and is based on the personal qualifications of the candidate (i.e. education, certification, experience, etc.)
- Narrative responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) will be required from the selectee in order to proceed with the appointment.
- Current or former Federal employees must submit copies of their most recent SF50, Notification of Personnel Action. The SF50 must identify the position, title, series, grade, step, tenure, and type of service (Competitive or Excepted). In some cases, more than one SF50 may be required to show a higher grade previously held.
- Veterans preference does not apply for other current permanent Federal agency employees.
- Position is not required to file a financial disclosure report.
Citizenship: Citizen of the United States.
Education or Training: Successful completion of one (1) year of education above high school with courses related to the Nursing Assistant occupation. Completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a Nursing Assistant may also meet in full the experience requirements for GS-3. NOTE: Transcripts (unofficial or official)must be submitted with your application materials. Education cannot be credited without documentation.
English Language Proficiency: In accordance with 38U.S.C. 7402(d), No person shall serve in direct patient care positions unless they are proficient in basic written and spoken English. Nursing Assistants must be proficient in spoken and written English.
GS-5 (Full Performance Level):
In addition to the Basic Requirements above, to qualify for this position at the GS-5 level, you must meet one of the following requirements:
Experience: You must have at least one (1) full year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level (GS-4) which demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities that are directly related to the Nursing Assistant specific assignment. Qualifying experience is experience providing nursing care to patients/residents receiving outpatient care, home or community living care or who are in acute, sub-acute or chronic states of illness.
To be creditable, the experience must have required the use of knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the current practice. Experience must be fully documented on your resume and must include job title, duties, month and year start/end dates AND hours worked per week. ~OR~
Education: Successful completion of four (4) year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree that included 24semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor's degree. NOTE: Transcripts (unofficial or official) must be submitted with your application materials. Education cannot be credited without documentation. ~AND~
In addition to the experience or education above, at the GS-5 level, you must fully demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) below:
- Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Ability to communicate in person with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes serving as a preceptor to new Nursing Assistants by assisting with the coordination of their orientation and overseeing/assessing their practical experience while in a clinical setting.
- Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis, etc.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
The following documents are required for a complete Application Package. Incomplete applications will be found ineligible.
1. Responses to Online Questionnaire
2. Current or former Federal employees must submit copies of their most recent SF50, Notification of Personnel Action. The SF50 must identify the position, title, series, grade, step, tenure, and type of service (Competitive or Excepted). In some cases, more than one SF50 may be required to show a higher grade previously held.
3. If using education to meet experience requirement, submit proof of education. Unofficial transcript may be submitted with application. If selected, you will be required to submit an official transcript.
4. Other documents - use this checklistto make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2013437.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.