RN - Couplet Care - FT - Nights
South Austin Medical Centers Womens Services department is divided into 4 areas, L&D, Couplet Care, Level I Nursery and Level II NICU.
L&D is comprised of 9 Labor, Deliver, and Recovery rooms (LDRs), 5 antepartum rooms, 3 operating rooms, and a 4 bed OBED. Care is provided to a variety of pregnancy related conditions including surveillance of fetal and maternal well-being by uterine and fetal monitoring, spontaneous labor and delivery, vaginal birth after a C Section (VBAC), induction and augmentation of labor, pre-term labor management, pre-eclampsia management, multiple gestation management, C Section, tubal ligation, dilation and curettage (D&C), and emergency hysterectomies.
NICU a 9 bed Level II NICU provides specialized total care and continuing observation to newborns 32 to 42 weeks gestation utilizing age specific considerations.
2N Mother/Baby Unit, which provides modified total care to obstetrical, gynecological and other womens health medical or surgical patients. This is a 25-bed unit serving adolescent to geriatric women.
The care model at SAMC is Couplet care from birth to discharge for all uncomplicated deliveries. Labor nurses do joint recovery care for patients with assistance from Nursery Admit nurses and in conjunction with Newborn nursery nurses who assist with babies who need extra care or monitoring. Babies room-in with their mothers with the ability to observe babies in the nursery if mom needs time to rest or if baby needs a procedure or observation.
Responsible for professional nursing care and related assistance to patients with a broad range of illnesses.
The RN is involved in direct and indirect patient care. The RN provides direction to licensed vocational nurses (LVNs) and other non-licensed nursing personnel in providing direct patient care. The staff nurse supports the medical care of patients under the direction of the Medical Staff pursuant to the objectives of the hospital. In collaboration with other health team members, follows the philosophy, policies and goals of the facility and department.
1) Administers care for the obstetrical patient having surgical procedure in the Labor & Delivery Operating Suite. Intraoperative and post anesthesia care is in accordance with Hospital established standards of care.
2) Performs steam sterilization processing of instruments and supplies for the MCH unit in accordance with Hospital standards for sterilization. Assures sterilization parameters have been met before utilizing supplies.
3) Assists with the care of the newborn at deliveries. Maintains skills in neonatal resuscitation.
4) Demonstrates assessment skills in both high risk and low risk obstetrical patients. Recognition of maternal and/or fetal problems are identified and reported to the physician.
5) Assists with the transfer of newborn to another facility when indicated. Notifies charge nurse and House Supervisor of anticipated transfer.
6) Notifies all surgical team members of emergency and scheduled surgical procedures.
7) Accurately identifies and bands newborn, mother and significant others with matching identabands. Documents band identification number appropriately in medical record. Verifies band and medical record document with nursery upon arrival to nursery.
8) Provides emotional support and assists in contracting Pregnancy Loss Support Group for parents/significant others experiencing grief due to newborn condition at birth, parental separation from newborn, neonatal death or fetal demise.
9) Demonstrates knowledge and provides support to natural mother, agencies, and foster or adoptive parents when newborn is for adoption.
10) Demonstrates knowledge of individual role in Hospital infant abduction plan.
11) Demonstrate understanding of HCA's and "Patients First" safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
12) Performs other related duties as directed or required.
The Registered Nurse (RN) utilizes the nursing process to direct and deliver comprehensive nursing care to patients on an assigned unit in a safe and proficient manner according to individual patient needs. Provides direct patient care based upon South Austin Medical Center Hospital Standards of Care and Standards of Practice, Polices, Procedures and Practice Guidelines. Provides guidance and supervision to Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN), Nursing Technicians, Nursing Assistants and Unit Secretaries. He/she acts as patient and advocate with the Hospital environment. Assumes Charge Nurse responsibilities and accepts assignments on other units when necessary.