Registered Nurse - Labor and Delivery Float Pool Days
Labor and Delivery Unit Description:
This area is currently experiencing rapid growth with the monthly delivery rate exceeding 600 deliveries. It includes 29 LDR's, 6 triage rooms, 6 bed recovery rooms for Cesarean Sections and other obstetrical related procedures. This area also has the unique feature of doing newborn transition in the mother's labor room, thus decreasing the separation time between mother and newborn to almost zero. If there is any need for separation, it rarely exceeds 30 minutes in the transition nursery. All staff are NRP, AWHONN-ELECTRONIC FETAL MONITORING certified. An educational push is being done to encourage RNC specialty certification, ACLS, and limited ultrasound training. Focus for education in the future will be for high risk OB. Nursing procedures encourage nursing qualifications to perform placement of fetal scalp electrodes, intrauterine pressure catheters, and for nursing anatomy.
The Labor and Delivery RN provides direct nursing care in accordance with established policies, procedures and protocols of the healthcare organization. The tasks and responsibilities include:
- Assesses, plans and evaluates patient care needs including obtaining patient history and assessing for labor risk factors.
- Carries out physician orders.
- Cares for patients requiring fetal assessment/fetal monitoring.
- Manages the patient's pain including epidural and patient controlled analgesia administration management.
- Administers prescribed medications and monitors vital signs.
- Assists physician during delivery, treatment, examination and surgical procedures.
- Serves as the primary coordinator of all disciplines for well coordinated patient care.
- Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
- Instructs and educates patients and families.
- Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
- Orients and mentors new staff members.
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.