Registered Nurse (RN) - Trauma Step Down / IMC - Nights
The Trauma Care Unit is a trauma stepdown unit. This unit is a 10-bed unit and is half of a locked 20-bed trauma unit. The nursing staff on this unit provides specialized care to post-trauma patients that may require frequent monitoring of neurologic, vascular, or hemodynamic status with aggressive pulmonary support, and pain management. The nurse to patient ratio is 3:1/4:1. All beds are telemetry capable.
The Registered Nurse (RN) utilizes the nursing process to direct and deliver comprehensive nursing care to patients on an assigned unit in a safe and proficient manner according to individual patient needs. Provides direct patient care based upon South Austin Medical Center Hospital Standards of Care and Standards of Practice, Polices, Procedures and Practice Guidelines. Provides guidance and supervision to Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN), Nursing Technicians, Nursing Assistants and Unit Secretaries. He/she acts as patient and advocate with the Hospital environment. Assumes Charge Nurse responsibilities and accepts assignments on other units when necessary.
· Considers age related factors in the assessment, care, and treatment of pediatric patients.
· Considers principles of death and dying when caring for terminally ill oncology patients.
· Provides emotional, spiritual, religious and cultural support to patients and their significant others.
· Applies principles of orthopedic nursing. He/she is familiar with various types of tractions, casts, splints and with various orthopedic surgeries.
· Applies principles of urological nursing when caring for that type of patient. He/she is familiar with various urological catheters and various urological surgical procedures.
· Knows how to take care and maintain central venous access catheters.
· Demonstrate understanding of HCA's and "Patients First " safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures