Monitor Technician (MT) - Cardiac Telemetry (Days)
The Cardiac Monitor Technician will maintain cardiac monitoring by observing and documenting ECG rhythms.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for observing the monitor at all times, responding to alarms immediately, and reporting any changes in the patients rhythm to the team leader or nurse caring for the patient.
- Takes reports on all monitored patients from the monitoring staff. Reviews rhythms, treatment orders for dysrhythmias, and other pertinent information. Collects and documents the rhythm type.
- Assembles a transmitter, battery, a pouch, and electrodes for the admitting nurse. Performs skin prep for placement of monitor by the nurse. Maintains a supply of strip sheets, summary sheets, electrodes, wires, ECG paper, batteries, pouches, and transmitters. Cleans electrode wires and transmitters when monitoring is discontinued.
- Informs the Charge Nurse of any equipment malfunctions. Checks all monitors high/low alarms are set properly, according to physicians orders or unit standard.
- Documents monitor patterns and mount strips every 4 hours, when any new ectopic beat is observed, and/or when a change of pattern occurs. All rhythm strips will be labeled with the patients name, date, time, and room number.
- Analyzes rhythm strips for ventricular rate, atrial rate, PR interval, and QRS duration and document in the appropriate place.
Additional Job Functions:
- May handle, pick up, deliver, or stock non-controlled medications as directed by a licensed team member.
- Supports the mission and vision of the Methodist Healthcare System (MHS).
- Must learn and comply with system and facility safety policies and rules.
- Adheres to the MHS Code of Conduct and demonstrates ethical behavior as expected by our patients, colleagues and the community.
- Completes other duties as assigned.