Licensed Nursing Assistant / Intensive Care Unit / Advanced Bonus Per Diem / Varied Hours
Parkland Medical Center
Position: Licensed Nursing Assistant
Basic Function: Provides direct, age-specific care under the direction of an RN.
PRACTICE STANDARDS/ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
1. Assists RN in the implementation of patient care.
• Ensures patient safety and protection; collects and records vital signs and reports changes to RN; performs simple nursing procedures under the direction of the RN; uses/manages equipment safely and appropriately.
2. Communicates with patients, team members, and management in an accurate, timely manner.
• Talks with, listens to patients/team members; reports pertinent, concise information; completes charting in a timely manner; manages computer charting/ordering as appropriate; protects confidentiality of patient/colleagues.
3. Applies critical thinking skills and considers alternatives.
• Organizes multitask workload; prioritizes tasks/work; seeks assistance as necessary; collects data from multiple sources as necessary; organizes/delivers basic care for multiple patient assignment under the direction of an RN.
4. Develops and maintains human care relationships.
• Understands the impact illness/hospitalization have on patients/families; adapts care for diverse populations and environments; advocates for needs of clients; provides care in ethical and legal manner; refers concerns/issues to RN.
5. Manages self and resources effectively.
• Acknowledges limits of experience and capability; identifies learning needs and seeks resources; utilizes equipment and supplies appropriately; maintains clean, orderly environment of care; ensures traffic control in “sensitive areas”; seeks out and accepts feedback; requests assistance appropriately.
• Interacts in professional manner--communicates directly, verbalizes scope of practice for self and others.
6. Assists with or reinforces teaching in delivery of care with a focus on heath promotion.
• Collaborates with RN to provide information to patient.
7. Applies knowledge of the patient populations served within unit/area of hire.
• Provides age-specific care; applies knowledge of expected norms in care.
8. Demonstrates the unit-specific skills required for assigned role and service area in collaboration with the RN.
• With validation of competency, may discontinue peripheral intravenous devices, and foley catheters.
9. Meets Parkland Medical Center standards related to:
• Patient Safety: reports actual or potential medical/health care errors, near-misses or other opportunities to improve patient safety. Participates in safety education, safety, quality and performance improvement initiatives.
• Customer Service/Patient Centered Care: shows genuine concern, respect, and ability to communicate cordially with patients, visitors, physicians, and other employees; is sensitive to customer inconveniences and responds accordingly.
• Confidentiality, compliance, patient/provider rights: Adheres to corporate and professional codes of conduct, Standards of Excellence, HIPAA privacy standards.
• Attendance, punctuality, meetings: Participates in continuing education programs & mandatory education to maintain competence and gain additional skills & documents attendance. Annual absenteeism will not exceed HR standards, attends at least 50% of staff meetings, reads communications.