As one of the nation's premier centers of excellence in patient care, medical education and biomedical research, NYU Langone Health (NYULH) provides a professional environment in which nurses can perform at their best and excel in their careers. Each and every day, is a new opportunity to learn, to grow, and to be a part of what makes us world-class.
NYULH nurses can choose from many clinical services and programs to begin or mature a professional career path that can span decades. The many opportunities that are available for nurses at all levels, from new Baccalaureate RN graduates to Advanced Practice Nurses, offer the ability to deliver world class nursing care in an intellectually-stimulating academic environment. Nurses at NYULH also demonstrate their professional practice through participation in the various councils that govern the practice of nursing, the quality of our care, and the discovery of new knowledge.
||NYU Langone Hospitals- Brooklyn is a full-service teaching hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The medical center is central to a comprehensive network of affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU Langone Medical Center's anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery in the entire borough.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Registered Nurse.
In this role, the successful candidate Assists the Nurse Manager in ensuring quality nursing care and outcomes on one nursing unit on a shift basis. Assumes charge nurse role and is responsible for the unit in the absence of the Nurse Manager. Delivers direct nursing care to assigned primary patients and/or assists with all direct patient care activities.
- Identify and meet learning needs in order to maintain competency and respond to new clinical and management expectations
- Shares new knowledge with staff and peers.
- Makes recommendations for staff educational needs and plans educational activities independently and in conjunction with others. Participates in the clinical and leadership development of employees in his/her area. Maintains accurate records and evaluates effectiveness of activities
- Coordinates staff competency plan in collaboration with nursing education
- Facilitates and ensures orientation of personnel to the unit. Plans cooperatively with the instructor CNS preceptor and new employee for experience needed to perform competently. Acts as a mentor and resource for new staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned or volunteered in alignment with LMC mission, goals and values.
- Provides divisional coverage as needed
- Acts as a resource to staff for regulatory and policy matters.
- Serves as a liaison to all other departments in the LMC system and demonstrates effective teambuilding and problem-solving strategies in interactions.
- Participates in unitdepartmental and hospital-based councils/activities/special projects.
- Assimilates LMC core values compassion dignity integrity service throughout all processes and interactions.
- Established pleasant work environment conducive to teamwork growth and recognition.
- Utilizes effective conflict-resolution strategies when dealing with staff physicians and family members
- Makes recommendations for staffing supply and capital budget needs of the unit. Monitors unit budget in collaboration with Clinical AVP. Participates in annual staffing plan/budget review process
- Communicates with peers staff patients families and physicians clearly and professionally.
- Maintains effective ongoing and timely communication with staff and maintains records of meetings
- Collaborates with Materials Management Department for appropriate supplies and equipment and ensures proper utilization and maintenance of supplies and equipment on unit.
- Evaluates work performance and clinical competency of personnel on a timely basis and makes recommendations for promotions, transfers, and discharge. Takes corrective and/or disciplinary action with staff in collaboration with the nursing AVP and Human Resources
- Counsels and coaches staff concerning their work performance and development: holds staff accountable for performance.
- Monitors unit staffing to budget overtime/agency usage and provides justifications as needed.
- Prepares staff schedules in a timely manner. Monitors appropriate use of benefit time. Completes time cards for timely and correct payroll. Approves overtime.
- Plans for unit staffing needs on a long term and short term basis adjusts nursing workload and other staffing variables to maintain safe efficient care in an effective manner.
- Develops unit objectives on a yearly basis and submits progress reports as required.
- Responds to staff and physician satisfaction needs and identifies and implements solutions in collaboration with related departments as needed.
- Responds to patient/family needs in timely, positive manner and ensures service excellence among all staff.
- Acts as resource for staff for ethical/legal issues refers as appropriate
- Promotes safety and risk-free environment for patients and staff.
- Investigates incidents and occurrences and institutes corrective action as appropriate
- Participates on a voluntary or appointed basis in inter-intra-depart-mental and inter-disciplinary committees to improve patient care
- Conducts Performance Management monitoring and participates in problem identification and solutions to improve key processes/ systems/patient care shares results at Nursing Performance Management meetings and unit meetings with nursing staff. Encourages staff participation in performance improvement activities.
- Initiates and encourages staff participation in patient care conferences
- Establishes/maintains processes to promote a multidisciplinary team approach in developing, implementing and evaluating patient care and/or family education and discharge planning.
- Provides direct patient care as needed to meet patient care needs or role model behavior.
- Demonstrates clinical knowledge and skills in area of supervision and directs staff in its application
- Assures implementation of standards of care. Participates in development of evidence-based standards policy and procedure and documentation tools in collaboration with physician leadership nursing and other disciplines. Utilizes research findings to improve patient care
- Directs the delivery of patient care on the night shift based on patients physiological psychosocial spiritual and educational needs.
To qualify you must have a Must be a graduate of an Accredited Nursing Program- BSN preferred
NY State RN License
1 year experience with Behavioral Health patients required
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospitals- Brooklyn provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospitals- Brooklyn is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospitals- Brooklyn's EEO policies, please click here . Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here .