As one of the nation's premier centers of excellence in patient care, medical education and biomedical research, NYU Langone Health (NYULH) provides a professional environment in which nurses can perform at their best and excel in their careers. Each and every day, is a new opportunity to learn, to grow, and to be a part of what makes us world-class.
NYULH nurses can choose from many clinical services and programs to begin or mature a professional career path that can span decades. The many opportunities that are available for nurses at all levels, from new Baccalaureate RN graduates to Advanced Practice Nurses, offer the ability to deliver world class nursing care in an intellectually-stimulating academic environment. Nurses at NYULH also demonstrate their professional practice through participation in the various councils that govern the practice of nursing, the quality of our care, and the discovery of new knowledge.
||NYU Lutheran Medical Center is a full-service teaching hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The medical center is central to a comprehensive network of affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU Langone Medical Center's anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery in the entire borough. Learn more about NYU Lutheran Medical Center .
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Care Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate provides direct and indirect patient care and performs technical rehabilitative and therapeutic nursing procedures and activities under the direct supervision of the registered professional nurse.
- Performs other duties as aligned with the mission and values of the organization.
- Attends staff meetings and review/signs minutes of meetings not attended. Maintains competence through in service and educational programs
- Assist with clerical duties specific to area of assignment.
- Reinforces health teaching to patients/families.
- Performs messenger functions as needed
- Maintains supplies and equipment in a neat clean condition.
- Keeps all service areas orderly e.g. treatment room and utility rooms.
- Responds and meets patient/family needs and customer concerns as soon as possible with compassion and understanding
- Demonstrates a sensitive and supportive attitude towards patients families and/or significant others. Observes condition mental status and social behavior of same and reports/documents observations
- Maintains the standards of radiation safety.
- Electronically documents data collected and care rendered.
- Assists in meeting patients oxygen needs positions patient appropriately maintains patients airway able to assemble O2 and suction set-ups.
- Promotes skin integrity in patients by providing skin care applying simple dressing and maintaining turning schedules
- Responds appropriately to patient emergencies such as cardiac arrest or respiratory failure initiate CPR as indicated calls code and/or notifies staff appropriately.
- Performs venous phlebotomy.
- Applies slings bandaging traction according to procedure check circulation of affected body parts.
- Performs EKGs and application of cardiac monitor leads as needed.
- Assists in preparation of patients for procedures in OR including shave and prep removal and storage of dentures jewelry vital signs positioning specimen collections.
- Provides care to patients on hypo-hyperthermia including temperature monitoring and skin care.
- Provides patient care to respiratory patients as determined by the protocols of specific units Tracheostomy care tracheal suctioning oral suctioning endotracheal tube suctioning and pulse oximetry readings.
- Prepares patient and assists physician with procedures such as spinal tap paracentesis thoracentesis bone marrow and other specialized procedures and treatments.
- Applies warm and cold compresses
- Tests stool and NG drainage for occult blood.
- Measures and records drainage from NG tubes Jackson Pratt Hemovac and other drains
- Assists the nurse in providing care to the diabetic patient by monitoring diet and measuring blood sugars using the glucometer.
- Performs post-mortem care.
- Assists with admissions discharge transfer and transport of patients including data collection and orientation of patients and/or family to the units and safeguards patient property.
- Administers NG gastrostomy and jejunostomy feeds including verifying feeding rates changing bags check for residuals establishing patency and placement of feeding tube prior to feeding and recognizing and reporting deviation from normal.
- Assists patient in maintaining appropriate nutritional status including prepares tray assists or feeds patients as needed serves nourishment provides fresh water and maintains accurate record of intake and weighs patient
- Observes patients undergoing intravenous therapy for IV infiltration and/or removal of catheters or needles of peripheral lines cleans adjusts and secures catheters.
- Attends to the safety needs of patients i.e. call light in reach side rails up as needed monitoring of patients in restraints including appropriate release and rotation of devices and call bells answered promptly.
- Promotes patient comfort through correct positioning techniques and the appropriate use of assistive devices (air mattresses positioning wedge etc.) both in bed and chair and carries out a turning regime established by the nurse. Reports patients pain scale level to R.N.
- Provides basic hygiene to patients: bathing, mouth care, shampooing and shaving.
Promotes patient comfort through correct positioning techniques and the appropriate use
- Assists patient with elimination needs including empties bedpans urinals and Foley bags and accurately records output collects stool and urine specimens care for patients with colostomies and urostomies administers enemas applies condom catheters and discontinue Foleys.
- Takes patients pulse temperature blood pressure and respiration records measurement accurately and records electronically and reports deviations from normal to the registered nurse.
- Rounds on patients at the beginning and per unit standards by observing patient including but limited to respiratory status color general appearance as well as proper functioning of mechanical and therapeutic devices.
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma required.
1+years relevant experience.
Strong customer service and communication skills.
Satisfactory performance in an NA position at LMC.
Successful completion of Medical Center Assessment and Screening process.
Successful completion of In-House Patient Care Technician Program.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Lutheran Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Lutheran Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Lutheran Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here . Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.